Home > Trip Reports > July 15, Mt Baker, Squak Glacier

July 15, Mt Baker, Squak Glacier

7/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Aleksey on 7/17/09 5:39am
Got out of class at 930 pm, stiff legs from the day before (interglacier tr). Picked up fellow adventurer Adam C at 12am after he was done with work and off we went. Arrived to at the trailhead (Schriebers Meadow) at about 3 am, slept in the back of Frank the Tank, were hiking through a swarm of hungry mosquito's at 7. Continuous snow began at about 5.3K, kept the skis on the rest of the way to the summit plateau (almost 3pm).  Took a quick tour to gain a better perspective on the N face. It sure is gorgeous up there! Roman Wall was a bit of a tricky skin, but some crevasses are opening there as well, so better to keep the weight distributed. Crevasses are manageable, but they ruin the fall line skiing that can be had from the top. Skiing went something like this: take a few turns, slow down, traverse to a safe crossing, make some more turns, repeat. But, it was all corn! Good corn too, at least from 10.5 to 7K or so, after that, the mini bumps were at it again. Took an AT set up with me for the first time, hate to say it, but its nice to make turns through those bumps with the heel locked, and a stiff set of Atomics. The skin on the way up however was an inferior experience wrt a tele set up. On the way down noticed 2 ruts that had fallen in to expose a dark blue hole.  Watch your steps right about 9.2K, underneath Sherman peak, there is a pretty nasty opening there with rotten snow all around. Went for a swim at Baker Lake and realized something.....should of been skiing the Talum glacier instead. Less crevasses (much less) and looks to  be a steeper line anyway. Many great lines to be had on that mountain. Maybe next monday...sorry again, no camera, although im looking for one, if any of your ski-mountaineer-photographers out there have any suggestions, please let me know.
Nice -- I'm surprised there's continuous snow that low still.

The skin on the way up however was an inferior experience wrt a tele set up.

How so?  That's not an observation one usually hears in the Tele/AT debate...

author=Marcus link=topic=13839.msg57830#msg57830 date=1247868673]
Nice -- I'm surprised there's continuous snow that low still.

The skin on the way up however was an inferior experience wrt a tele set up.

How so?  That's not an observation one usually hears in the Tele/AT debate...

I dont have ski crampons, so on the steeper sections it helps to have tele bindings when planting an edge. I can actually use a good amount of force when throwing the ski edge unto the snow, raher than having to do so gingerly with an AT set up as the Fritschis seem to not like the torsional force so much.  Although I could see that the dynafit system could be a better bet as they have seem to have more torsional support. (never used dynafit so im only guessing). Also the boot bellows on a tele set up allow for more feel on the climb. These are of course secondary considerations wrt what kind of shape the climber is in.

Reply to this TR

july-15-mt-baker-squak-glacier
Aleksey
2009-07-17 12:39:14