telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
07/29/14, 11:49 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2004 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  March 2004 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  March 28, 2004 Paradise MRNP
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: March 28, 2004 Paradise MRNP  (Read 3970 times)
JW

March 28, 2004 Paradise MRNP
« on: 03/29/04, 01:35 PM »

Every year about this time Maddog Morrison gets a big rush of testosterone and starts sprouting hair all over. This is all part of a ceremony designed to produce a solid spring snowpack and bring sunshine and perfect corn from now until next winter.

The usual gang consisting of Ron, Jeanette, Maureen, Darryl, Stefan and myself were planning on a trip into the Tatoosh. However with the new snow and skyrocketing temps we thought it more prudent to ski in the trees near Paradise and then down to the car we had left at Narada. It didn't take  too many attempts at turning in the non- supportive crust over crappy mashed potatoes,to realise it was a great time for a picinic and hanging out in afternoon sun. All in all a nice day was had in truly un-skiable conditions.
More pics http://community.webshots.com/album/129476540plnhZN
« Last Edit: 10/26/04, 04:32 PM by admin » Logged

"You keep skiing, I'll keep filming"
markharf

Re: March 28th,2004 Paradise MRNP
« Reply #1 on: 03/29/04, 04:07 PM »

Nice photos, as usual.  Number 6 is a standout.
JW

« Reply #2 on: 03/29/04, 11:46 PM »

Thanks Mark. Rather sporting of Jeanette to hold that pose while I got the camera out ! Smiley

"You keep skiing, I'll keep filming"
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #3 on: 03/30/04, 12:51 AM »

Nothing undermines the very foundation of one's skiing ego like a breakable crust over nice, deep, cascade cement.   Angry
From the looks of my pics
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/paradise32804.msnw
it looked like the only ones negotiating passable turns were Darryl and our boarder/new darkside skier convert, Stefan.  What's up with that??  Huh
I'm just glad Jerry was busy extracating himself from his craters when I was slippery side UP.  Smiley

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.” - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Darryl

« Reply #4 on: 03/30/04, 01:49 AM »

What a sport Jeanette is - to grow hair and to pray to the snow gods.  Her hearing isn't as good as it used to be.  We said kneel NOT KEEL.  Great pictures and great fun.  Picnicing with the gang is entertaining but NOT something a minor should do.
Mad_Dog

« Reply #5 on: 03/30/04, 02:33 AM »

Wow, what a weekend. Grin  Good thing there wasn't a full moon, or I might have had more than the chin thing going on.  Needless to say, growing chin hair and praying to the snow gods made no difference whatsoever in helping with those awesome conditions Grin  Jerry, you thought I was posing for photo #6, shoot, I thought I was gonna have to have a boom truck get me outta there  Cool.  Even though the ski conditions were challenging, and skiing the trees down to Narada was like going into the car wash from the tree melt, all of us had a great time on the mountain and in the sun, so much so that the elusive rabbit joined us until even it couldn't take the heat anymore  Cool
« Last Edit: 03/30/04, 02:36 AM by Mad_Dog » Logged

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
Charles
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: 03/30/04, 03:40 AM »

But Mad_Dog, I thought you never fell, and a big cratering face-plant in addition! Nice position on those skis - I guess that's what you'd call keeping the tips down? And can it be true that nobody remembered to bring the Jarvis Jelly (details)?
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #7 on: 03/30/04, 08:56 AM »

I suspect that Jerry knocked her over from behind just to get the shot.  
The fabulous ski concoction seems to be "back burnered" due to lack of "fire" for the product.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.” - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Mad_Dog

« Reply #8 on: 03/31/04, 02:03 AM »

I thought you never fell, and a big cratering face-plant in addition!

Well, you see, actually what I heard is that there is this new "snow" facial that keeps you looking young.  Every once in a while you have to ski down and dive in the snow, planting your face, leaving it there until it goes numb.  It's suppose to open the capillaries and give your skin that nice healthy glow.  Cheesy

As far as the Jarvis Jelly, the snow was so wet, it would have been hard to keep the fires burning.  I think Ron's hard at work on some water resistant jelly as we speak.  Wink
« Last Edit: 03/31/04, 02:04 AM by Mad_Dog » Logged

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.