Home > Trip Reports > July 11, 2009, Coleman Pinnacle

July 11, 2009, Coleman Pinnacle

7/11/09
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by md2020 on 7/12/09 12:27pm
Arriving at the gate parking lot Brenda and I were disappointed to see the lack of snow around the Bagley Lake basin. Our preferred route over Hermans Saddle and down to Iceberg Lake was out. We carried our skis up to Artist Pt then out to the saddle south of Table Mtn. Pretty sad. Usually we do a quick ski from here and start skinning at the creek below, but this year at the bottom we had to cross a couple rock and dirt strips before reaching continuous snow. It was surprising to see that there is no snow between Iceberg Lake and Ptarmagin Ridge along the west side of Table Mtn.
From this pt the snow is still continuous on the rideg, but dirt and rock is reaching higher than we'd like. There is one spot just before the pinnacle that I think might require a short carry within a few days. Spotted a herd of around 20 goats working their way over Lasiocarpa Ridge. We had a great ski on excellent snow from the high pt west of the pinnacle. Only saw one other person out there all day. Beautiful day even with the bony conditions.

Yah, that was me clambering back out of the canyon I'd dropped into (still skiable to 4500 feet) and up to the ridge for another run.  You left some nice tracks out there, glinting in the late-afternoon sun by the time I finally staggered back up Bob's "hairpin turn" and headed homeward. 

Snow cover was disappointing, yes, but not too terribly bad for mid-July following record heat and drought.  Suncups were soft and forgiving, even on my fat, flexy powder skis, and the crowds all stayed below, admiring each other's chrome and straight pipes in the parking lot. 

Sorry to have missed saying hello!  Maybe next time.

Mark

that's funny. I told Brenda that kind of looked like Markharf down there. We should have went ahead and dropped down to say hey.

Reply to this TR

july-11-2009-coleman-pinnacle
md2020
2009-07-12 19:27:25