Home > Trip Reports > July 5'09 Tour along the Ptarmigan Ridge.

July 5'09 Tour along the Ptarmigan Ridge.

7/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 7/6/09 6:53am
Kevin and I crossed the border and met Tomski, who is on his annual PNW ski trip.While Tom has strung together close to 30 Julys in a row, skiing in July was a new experience for Kevin. They agreed that they wanted to tour rather than compile vertical feet of turns. We carried our skis from the car to bit below Austin Pass where Tom applied the no-wax 10th Mountain skis that he had borrowed from SB. Kevin and I chose to leave our skis on our packs as the booting was easier than skinning. The SE corner of Table Mountain is melting out, but most of the Ptarmigan Ridge area has good snow coverage.

On the return trip we got some nice turns to the east of the "PR hairpin turn". Kevin and I finished the day on the Blueberry Chute closest to the ski area. Only two chutes can still be skied and they are fading fast. It will not be too long before the Artist Point road will be opened up for the parking-paying tourists. More photos can be found here: http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=58978
A shot of each of us below.
Thanks for the report as always....nice to see the extended pics on TT too, amazing to see the change within a month.  Now to decide next weeks overnight....there or Sunrise.

The snow looks so much like yesterday at the Tatoosh but the sky is SO different!

Reply to this TR

july-5-09-tour-along-the-ptarmigan-ridge
Telemon
2009-07-06 13:53:31