Home > Trip Reports > March 28, 2004, Paradise MRNP

March 28, 2004, Paradise MRNP

3/28/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JW on 3/29/04 5:35am
Every year about this time Maddog Morrison gets a big rush of testosterone and starts sprouting hair all over. This is all part of a ceremony designed to produce a solid spring snowpack and bring sunshine and perfect corn from now until next winter.

The usual gang consisting of Ron, Jeanette, Maureen, Darryl, Stefan and myself were planning on a trip into the Tatoosh. However with the new snow and skyrocketing temps we thought it more prudent to ski in the trees near Paradise and then down to the car we had left at Narada. It didn't take  too many attempts at turning in the non- supportive crust over crappy mashed potatoes,to realise it was a great time for a picinic and hanging out in afternoon sun. All in all a nice day was had in truly un-skiable conditions.
More pics http://community.webshots.com/album/129476540plnhZN
Nice photos, as usual.  Number 6 is a standout.

Thanks Mark. Rather sporting of Jeanette to hold that pose while I got the camera out ! :)

Nothing undermines the very foundation of one's skiing ego like a breakable crust over nice, deep, cascade cement.   >:(
From the looks of my pics
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/paradise32804.msnw
it looked like the only ones negotiating passable turns were Darryl and our boarder/new darkside skier convert, Stefan.  What's up with that??  ???
I'm just glad Jerry was busy extracating himself from his craters when I was slippery side UP.  :)

What a sport Jeanette is - to grow hair and to pray to the snow gods.  Her hearing isn't as good as it used to be.  We said kneel NOT KEEL.  Great pictures and great fun.  Picnicing with the gang is entertaining but NOT something a minor should do.

Wow, what a weekend. ;D  Good thing there wasn't a full moon, or I might have had more than the chin thing going on.  Needless to say, growing chin hair and praying to the snow gods made no difference whatsoever in helping with those awesome conditions ;D  Jerry, you thought I was posing for photo #6, shoot, I thought I was gonna have to have a boom truck get me outta there  8).  Even though the ski conditions were challenging, and skiing the trees down to Narada was like going into the car wash from the tree melt, all of us had a great time on the mountain and in the sun, so much so that the elusive rabbit joined us until even it couldn't take the heat anymore  8)

But Mad_Dog, I thought you never fell, and a big cratering face-plant in addition! Nice position on those skis - I guess that's what you'd call keeping the tips down? And can it be true that nobody remembered to bring the Jarvis Jelly (details)?

I suspect that Jerry knocked her over from behind just to get the shot.  
The fabulous ski concoction seems to be "back burnered" due to lack of "fire" for the product.

I thought you never fell, and a big cratering face-plant in addition!

Well, you see, actually what I heard is that there is this new "snow" facial that keeps you looking young.  Every once in a while you have to ski down and dive in the snow, planting your face, leaving it there until it goes numb.  It's suppose to open the capillaries and give your skin that nice healthy glow.  :D

As far as the Jarvis Jelly, the snow was so wet, it would have been hard to keep the fires burning.  I think Ron's hard at work on some water resistant jelly as we speak.  ;)

Reply to this TR

march-28-2004-paradise-mrnp
JW
2004-03-29 13:35:39