Home > Trip Reports > July 3, 2009, Fryingpan to Whitman Crest

July 3, 2009, Fryingpan to Whitman Crest

7/3/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by wolfs on 7/3/09 3:24pm
Compared to years prior, the lower parts of this tour have bonier snow than I would have thought. None of the ascents or descents on the front below Meany Crest can avoid melted out stretches. And sadly most of the good Goat Cirque lines are already melted out too! Reaching the Glacier for August turns might be challenging.

However, the Glacier proper, from Meany Crest to Whitman Crest, was very nice. Minimal runnels cups or dirt. Definitely all corned up (maybe a tad sticky on the flat parts but didn't notice on anything turnably steep). A huge bonus on such a hot day was that a nice cool wind was blowing off the glacier.

Summer trail is effectively melted out and trail shoeable. Marmots were at play all around in Summerland. Went up the front side of Meany Crest via the hidden bowl, involved crossing rock bands and being careful in areas that were undermined. I hate that frontside climb, the longest short-looking 2K vertical I can think of, it makes you suffer. Plus couldn't find existing bootpack so had to punch my own. Skinned from Meany Crest on. 6.5 hours up. Did one 1K lap on the skiers right of the crest that was a known dead end then crossed back over to do the more conventional run, Raised tracks were an issue in some areas but there was still enough room. From Meany Crest on down snow was OK but not great, and the rock band crossings lower were tricky.

Saw one other skier just as I was about to head down from Whitman Crest again, otherwise it was nice and empty up there. Also saw one lone goat, and copious iceworms, which I don't recall ever having seen up there.

(Click here for fullsize)

(Click here for fullsize)
Good info, wolfs.  Check your PMs.

Thanks for the report Wolfs.  I was hoping to maybe hit Frypan in a little over a week.  Better bring the trail shoes.

Wolfs,

Bill Doyle here, I'm the skier you met atop the Frying Pan. Thanks for the advice and the tracks, I was really considering retracing my steps over meany Crest and am very glad I didn't.

Kind of late (sorry!), but here are my pics and Greg's TR from June 28:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jshefftz/20090628Fryingpan
http://www.randosaigai.com/fryingpan062809.html

Reply to this TR

july-3-2009-fryingpan-to-whitman-crest
wolfs
2009-07-03 22:24:39