Home > Trip Reports > July 3, Chinook Pass

July 3, Chinook Pass

7/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by GregSimon on 7/3/09 2:24pm
We did some goof-off skiing (skiing a little, building kickers, pond skimming) Friday around Little Tipsoo lake.  Coverage is getting very thin up there.  Only the north-facing aspects of the bowl above Tipsoo Lake were holding much snow.  Still a few lines down from the ridge, but those probably won't last much more than a week.  Little Tipsoo Lake, however, was just ripe for pond skimming.

Here's one photo of Zach in the air.  The pond skimming photos are in Dave's camera.  I'll try to add one of those later.
That is some air!  I never get that high.  On purpose. 

If that was me, it would definitely be "hospital air".  Here's my favorite of the pond skimming photos.

I headed to Chinook yesterday, Saturday the fourth with my friend Les  Gerstmann. At the road we met TAY lurkers Mark and Dale who, for decades, have carried on a tradition of skiing on July 4.

We traversed and booted, 95% on snow, to the corniced ridge west of Naches. PCT is melting out in places. Perfect climbing snow. Nice corn on the steep sections. Suncups were soft but have been softer in the past.

Made it back to the car ski traversing and climbing 100% on snow.

My last trip of the year to Chinook.

Self aggrandizing pictures at my website: Chinook, July 4, 2009.

Reply to this TR

july-3-chinook-pass
GregSimon
2009-07-03 21:24:39