Home > Trip Reports > June 24-28, 2009, Three Volcanoes

June 24-28, 2009, Three Volcanoes

6/24/09
Posted by telemack on 7/1/09 2:22am
     I left the OR Shakespeare Festival and drove straight from a MacBeth matinee to Mt. Shasta.  Departed Bunny Flats after 8:30 PM on the 24th and set up a late bivy at Horse Camp. 
     Next AM I made my way to Hidden Valley, where the snow in Cascade Gulch became continuous right at the 9170' knoll where everyone camps.  I dumped my overnight stuff and embarked on a sweaty skin up the Gulch.  It clouded up as I reached the Shastina-Shasta saddle.  An ugly talus-posthole scramble took me to the summit; eerie but non-threatening clouds made for limited views but the lakes up there are amazing.  While scrambling down the talus a boulder attacked my tele boot and yanked the lowest buckle clean off.  Back into the skis for 2700' of decent snow, firmng up in the early evening.  Spent hours admiring the West Face of Shasta as the clouds lifted off the summit.  I was passed out by 9 PM. 
     On the 26th most people were up early in Hidden Valley.  I started cramponing the W Face just after turning off my headlamp, and parked my skis again, this time at 13100' atop the WF couloir.  Snow was discontinuous from Misery Hill to the summit; parts werre skiable but I was glad I had ditched the boards.  2 WF climbers caught up just as I snapped into my cables and shot some pics with my camera as I began the descent---maybe I can get them posted since I am on vacation time....The snow was a bit crunchy up top and grabby below 10K, but the 4000' straight shot was ecstasy:  link perfect turns until the quads seize up, pant and gasp, refresh, repeat.   8)  I packed as quickly as I could and made it back to Ashland in time for an 8:30 curtain time.
     My wife and mom had kindly agreed to drop me off for a previously arranged rendezvous to do St. Helens on a group permit with friends from the Peninsula Wilderness Club.  Lisa was rolling her eyes a bit as I ran around trying to organize all my junk and food into a limited number of piles to be abandoned with me at the Climbers Bivouac.  Fortunately my pals showed, and many lies were told on the blacktop.  
    St. H is now pretty bony; no continuous lines to below Monitor Ridge unless you veer skier's right.  Lots of hikers, not many snowriders.  It got really windy on the upper ridge, blowing us sideways at times.  Hazard of fat boards!  I ran a lap on the snowfields E of Monitor ridge, then returned to the rim.  Descending R of the Ridge I found several alluring lines, and 2500' feet later I was paying the price with a draining scramble on loose dirt and big talus.  A long traverse at about 5300', in the company of other suckers, and I was able to rejoin the trail right at the base of the lowest snow below Monitor Peak.  One car was still waiting for me, and we regrouped for chow at Burgerville in Woodland. 
     This was the closest I've ever come to a ski-bum-road-trip.  St. Helens is past for the year, but there is lots of coverage and soooo much to do on Shasta.  We Northern TAYers should make the drive more often.   ;D 
Sounds like a great trip!!  Nice job with the late season Cali turns! Can't wait to see the photos  :)

Way to Lay on McDuff.  Next time please invite us.

nice job mack- glad you got out there and skied some while enjoying a bit of theater too

Reply to this TR

june-24-28-2009-three-volcanoes
telemack
2009-07-01 09:22:52