Home > Trip Reports > June 27-28, Mt. Daniel

June 27-28, Mt. Daniel

6/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by glenn_b on 6/30/09 4:40am
Having been deterred by marginal forecasts the last two weekends, finally got away to celebrate the 25th anniversary of my first Daniel ascent.  Having no takers despite asking most everyone, I went solo but figured I'd meet other people on the mountain.  Scatter Creek was easily forded even in my low-slung Subaru although a little water did wash over the hood. 

After a pleasant hike, I put the skis on above Squaw Lake a mile or so before Cathedral Pass.  The traverse under Cathedral Rock was mostly bare but made spicy by a thinly-bridged snow finger.  Across that and somewhat knackered, I abandoned plans for a bivy higher on the mountain and lounged away a pleasant late afternoon and evening at my preferred campsite near Peggy's Pond.  Hiking strangers from E-burg camped nearby and expressed an interest in climbing the same route, traversing the Daniel Glacier under the East Peak's spire to the summits beyond.

The next morning dawned cloudy and windy.  Things had improved when we left camp about 8:30, meeting a couple of unsuccessful, early bird parties heading down.  Skinned, booted and skinned to the base of the spire where a chilly wind was blowing.  Another party of 3 hikers joined us for the icy crossing under the spire.  Fortunately, there were nice steps from the day before but an ice axe, at least, would've  been nice.  Beyond that, it was easy travel to the main summit.  Great views, good company, excellent coverage on the Lynch(one crevasse) and Daniel Glaciers but not enough time/energy to ski their fall lines.  Joined the party of 3 for the trip back to camp and over the scary snowfinger on the way out; thanks to Mike and company.  Mike took a picture of me before his battery gave out but I look too much like the Michelin Man to post it.  I was the only skier on the mountain.       

:). Sounds mighty fun!

Reply to this TR

june-27-28-mt-daniel
glenn_b
2009-06-30 11:40:39