Home > Trip Reports > June 25, 2009, Mt Adams, S Route

June 25, 2009, Mt Adams, S Route

6/25/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 6/29/09 12:20am
Kevin and I drove down late Wednesday and was able to hook up with Joe E and his Michigan volcano slaying team.  Short route condition information - nice steps all the way to the top, wore sneakers to the top.  A 5:35 am start, 1.5 hour break at 9200, top at 11:48.  Very strong winds all the way to the top.  Made of waiting for ideal ski conditions not pleasant.  Skied down from summit skiers left as this is smoother and has a nicer pitch.  Believed SW chutes to still be hard we continued down our up route.  Able to patch together - in little drainage to skiers L of trail - enough to get to within 200 vertical of parking lot. 

Snow good all the way, not much sun cupping, dirt, pollen, or other summer signs.
...Passed by Oyvind....Twice.

When the nice lady who was glacading down and asked....are you from Michigan????  I paused (knowing that....I've lived in Oregon for 8 yrs now,....knowing Oyvind started 1:30 hrs behind us, and summited 3 hrs before us)...I proudly replied...yes I'm from "MICHIGAN"...hoping that she would just smile and excuse me as a tourist.

Good to be in the presence of so many wolverines...even though some were Dogs at heart.

Reply to this TR

june-25-2009-mt-adams-s-route
Oyvind_Henningsen
2009-06-29 07:20:15