Home > Trip Reports > June 27 Sunrise 3 Burroughs

June 27 Sunrise 3 Burroughs

6/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 6/27/09 2:20pm
Lots of tayers and friends up there today.
We ran into Keith Henson ,Dave Combs then Mike and Brenda who decided to ski with us. Dave ,Anita(Aka Deirdre) Richard ,Phil and Dean. We chose 3rd burroughs and the poccket glacier at 2 1/2 burroughs.then we ran into Debbie and Dave up at 3rd. Perhaps the best corn snow we've seen this year. We group skied off of 3rd and spiraled north down a steepish run on west side of Skyscraper ridge line. New for me but Charles had it posted a few years back. Dave mike and myself knew about  Charles old report. Excellent run that went quite aways with one 30'carry. Gained the ridge by booting up and were in the correct postion to ski north on  the pocket glacier down towards Berkely park. Phil and Dean took the high east slot close to 2nd Burrough which is the best ski up there. climbed back up to Frozen lake and then down to the old campground .Here we were a little disappointed as the ski while interesting didn't have enough snow as some recent years. End result a little more road walking.
Got back to the party at the parking lot being hosted by JW, Dan ,Scotsman and Jodabaker. This crew had been chute skiing.
In a nutshell not as much snow up there this year but still a beautful day and lots of fun and spectacular veiws..
I would call our trip report "Sunrise, Sunset"
The chutes are almost all done, no Dege,  there is some downclimb and rocks are very prevalent. Lame on you MRNP management!
When will they ever learn?
There would be less possibility of damage with more snow, then the masses get bored and move on as it melts out.
I guess that the park is really not for our use and enjoyment after all.

On the other hand, great to see you Robie, nice report and all the other TAY folks!

Jodabaker you right and everyone in our group agreed .Open sunrise earlier. Hey we had to use the pit toilets anyway cause the main restrooms were closed. Our tour to 3rd Burroughs roughly 8 mi rt was worth it but woul dhave gone faster and funner if there was more snow. More on snow time, less change back and forth to carrying our skis.
I'm adding another picture from Richard here and a link to his pics.
The picture  shows snow coverage and our two best runs. One off of 3rd and the foreground the pocket glacier.

Richards pics can be found here
http://picasaweb.google.com/riveyphotos/SunriseSkiTour#

Just got my pics up on my website:
Third Burroughs Ski, June 27, 2009

Dave Coombs and I had a great time. Thanks to all the TAYer's for a remarkable day.

Robie:

Nice meeting you yesterday - your route was great.

A reminder about the touring archive you mentioned.

Have a great summer - remember to keep the shinny side up on the motorcycle.

Dave

I repeated your lines today. By "repeated" I mean I was often right on your tracks because the snow there was faster, less sticky.

The difference was that while you had quite the posse yesterday apparently, I saw no other skiers all day.

I first took a run down into the White River side bowl. It wasn't that good (dirty and sticky) so I aborted less than 700vf in, booted out, and instead decided to copycat your lines. Particularly since they had been taunting me in the distance during the entire approach. The climb out and over the 2nd B/Skyscraper ridge was rather arduous...

The 3rd Burroughs tour is a little short on turn-value for effort-in at least for now while there's still ski from bumper available, but it's got such great scenery, and that drop into the north side is a nice variation.

I showed up Saturday afternoon, needing a rest after a 16-hour door-to-door North Cascades trip the prior day, but wanting to get in some skiing, and close to White River Campground.
Sunrise definitely fit the bill.
Some pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jshefftz/20090627Sunrise

Reply to this TR

june-27-sunrise-3-burroughs
Robie
2009-06-27 21:20:51