Home > Trip Reports > June 26-27, 2009, Hidden Lake Peak

June 26-27, 2009, Hidden Lake Peak

6/26/09
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Glorificus Adventum on 6/27/09 11:34am
Decided that the Friday-Saturday window would make for some prime skiing and I wasn't disappointed. Came in Friday evening and was hiking at 5pm. Made good time on the trail. I opted to follow the trail all the way up to the start of the long traverse. Threw on the ski boots and traversed under Hidden Lake Peak. Kick stepped in a diagonal basically following the tracks laid down by Silas Wild (I think, who I met today who was back for round two) earlier that day. Camped on a small shoulder at 6400ft. Great sunset though the temp got down to about 30 degrees. Following morning waited for things to soften and made my way up to the ridge and then scrambled to the true peak. Skied down at about 1pm (skiing would have been a little better earlier) and found really enjoyable snow till about 6000ft. Traversed high side until the top of the major drainage. One short carry and then skied the drainage all the way down to about 4600ft. The lower stretch had copious amounts of avy debris but better than hiking down. I would imagine this would be enjoyable skiing for another few weeks at least.
Good to meet you Matt. Impressive skiing with the big pack. Put another face with a name yesterday:  Alan (BigSnow) and his 12yr old son Nick, who was carrying fat skis with Fritschis!  Nice work Nick, hope to see you out there again when your hoop and baseball schedule allows it.

Fine choice! I'd bet the Kumquat's ripe, for those with a taste for the salacious steeps.

You sure did hit it at the right time weatherwise.  The cloud deck improved as the day wore on, but not good enough for us to get the full-on view of Eldorado. 

Silas, regarding Nick's fat skis, when he stops growing he will get some real touring skis!  Those Fritschis are his mother's that I had to swap out to accommodate his new (used) boots that I had to get him this week.  His old Fritschis are now on his mom's skis.  (She is not too thrilled with that.)  Those bindings have been mounted onto longer skis each year he grows.  I cannot wait till he stops growing...  Meanwhile these are his everything skis.  Twin tip park skis are none-too-light.  Real beefy steel edges for the rails.  Builds character and leg muscles!  (His pack was lighter than mine  :)

Alan

Reply to this TR

june-26-27-2009-hidden-lake-peak
Glorificus Adventum
2009-06-27 18:34:39