Home > Trip Reports > 6/26/2009, Side trip near Hidden Lake Peak

6/26/2009, Side trip near Hidden Lake Peak

6/26/09
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Alan Brunelle on 6/27/09 7:33am
Before the HLP access road closed a few years ago I did a trip onto the snowfields just west of the Triad.  I had fond memories of that trip having yo-yo'ed several times on the snowfields and pocket glaciers and then finishing by dropping the small bowl just south of pt. 6148.  The crux was the climb of about 300 vt. ft. up the steep blueberry avalanche slope just above the last switchback on the summer trail.  My recollection was that it was a bit steep but neither difficult nor scary in my leather tele boots at the time. 

Wanting to reprise that trip and show my son the wonders of those snowfields now that access is back, Nick and I headed up.  (We met Silas Wild in the parking lot and two buddies about to head up to what looked like a great day of skiing.)  I am glad we brought our ice axes!  The steepness of the slope seemed to catch me off guard this time.  About half way up, we put helmets on and grabbed the axes.  Nick got a great lesson in just about every use of the tool, only not on snow or ice, but in soft soil technique.  Even so, the progress was slow and by the time we topped out onto snow I decided that Nick was spooked enough about the prospects of descending that slope that I was not going to push things.  We did make a nice climb onto the high ridge to the summit of the bump that frames the north of East Fork Sibley Pass.  Nice views.  We also got some nice turns in that bowl and below.  In retrospect, we should have hiked the ridgeline north and east over to the objective snowfields, but it hadn't occurred to me.

The conditions were nice.  Snow up high appeared to be newish corn.  I think that it is possible the the higher elevations may have received some fresh snow this week and the crystals were not as large as the stuff below 6k.  Still a little sloppy.

We took the blueberry descent slow and methodical and in the end Nick felt that he accomplished quite a lot on this trip.  It is a place that I want to revisit, maybe next time our mindset and determination will make it a better effort.  I am still not sure what made this climb so different this time.  Maybe the presence of my son?

In the end our views of of the East Face of HLP and Silas' uptrack made me jealous that we did not just follow Silas and his friends onto that slope.  Hopefully he will report on the conditions over there.

Pics to follow.

Alan
Awesome trip and mountaineering performance by Nick!  When I heard your objective in the parking lot, I was tempted to follow you to try out a new area for me!  Luckily I was too lazy and chose the old familiar tour.  Hope Nick is motivated for more backcountry skiing as his busy schedule permits.

Silas,

My faded memory of the "hike" is drawing me back to that area!  (Kind of like a fly to a light bulb.)

Here are the promised photos.  I included one of Nick with his Joe Brown headwear.  You seemed to get a kick out of that.

I am hoping Adams SW chutes are in the cards soon.

Alan

First photo of Nick at the bottom of Blueberry hills.

Second photo, was our ultimate objective with tracks.

Third photo is of the slopes we should have been on.  From our high perch, the eastern slopes of HLP in full cover.

Nick and Alan, good show!  Nick is turning into quite the ski mountaineer.

Nothing on this end, so I have to live it vicariously.  Lots of sailing though, which is only a few minutes away, so it works out.

Dave,

Great to hear from you!  Nick seems gung ho, even after I drag him through less than ideal trips.  Hopefully there are enough good ones to keep his interest up.  I think he deserves a good one next time  :)

It has been tough with Little League this year.  Baseball eats up all sorts of time right at the prime AT time of the year.

I used to sail a bit when I was a teenager.  Crummy little foam boats that I used to rent at the beach (meaning that I ran the rentals).  Very few takers so I had lots of time to sail.  Very pleasant.  Lots of time to think and let the stress of modern life fall away when you sail alone like I did.  Now had I competed....

Alan

We talked with you on the hike in and out -- here are our pics from that same day:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jshefftz/20090626NorthCascades

Jonathan,

Thanks!  I really like the picture of the lake.  I got distant views of it, but even then the colors were striking.

Alan

Reply to this TR

6-26-2009-side-trip-near-hidden-lake-peak
Alan Brunelle
2009-06-27 14:33:27