Home > Trip Reports > June 25-26, Mt. Roberts and Jumbo, Juneau, AK

June 25-26, Mt. Roberts and Jumbo, Juneau, AK

6/15/09
Posted by GregLange on 6/26/09 10:51am
Back in the old home town for my high school reunion, and decided to bring my snow toys. Off the plane not more than 2 hours on the 25th, and was already on the trail up to the summit of Mt. Roberts. No rain, high clouds, and excellent visibility (20+ miles each direction). As there is a tourist tramway direct from the cruise ships to mid-mountain, I got alot of questions about the equipment on my back. So, I pointed up to where I was headed, and they all gasped! Made the summit in 2.5 hours (3200 vert and 5.5 miles), and then partook of about 1700 vert of sweet corn, climbed up and out of the basin, and was at my guest residence in another 2 hours. Greta snow on a nicely steep game board.

Had such a good time on the snow yesterday that I then decided this morning to go up Mt. Jumbo on Douglas Island. Now, this 3300 ft. mountain has a classic Alaskan access trail. The hikers here must be in great shape, as this SOB goes straight up; all 3200 feet to the summit covered in just 3 miles!(However, I was also the only person on the mountain until I was abnout halfway down.) Stopped to ski the snow field that started at 2650 altitude, and then climbed back out so I could get to the summit. Again, the clouds parted for me just as I arrived at the top. I tell you, I'm not sure one can go home again, but the visiting is superb!! If any of you ever get the chance to be here in early summer, don't forget to pack the tools; they are well-usable in this country...
OK Greg, where's the photos ?  ???

Photos forthcoming. I am not home yet to download. Still enjoying drooling over all of the (likely) untouched lines in every direction. Even new snow above 4000 today...

Reply to this TR

june-25-26-mt-roberts-and-jumbo-juneau-ak
GregLange
2009-06-26 17:51:19