Home > Trip Reports > June 22, 2009, Lake Lillian and 5606

June 22, 2009, Lake Lillian and 5606

6/22/09
Posted by JPH on 6/23/09 5:51am
Cut out of work early to take advantage of the long afternoon.  Left the trail head for the short cut to Lillian at 5 in hiking boots and kept them on until just below Lake Lillian.  That trail is one steep, slippery, unapologetic sonofabitch, but still better than the long traverse from Margaret.  Booted up to 5606 and took two laps off the NE side on really nice snow.  The ridge seemed to be right on the edge of the clouds to the west and blue skies to the east.

NE side of 5606:

After a quick boot back to the ridge and tromp through the woods I skied back down to Lillian. 

Ski down to Lillian:

Overall a fun after work trip!   :)
Nice!  I went in there a few weeks ago -- I'm surprised it's still holding that much snow for the ski out.  Which TH did you start from?

I started from the unofficial backdoor scrape-up-your-truck-on-roadside-brush shortcut TH at the hairpin turn.  There's some pretty awesome waterfalls along that trail!

Man, I should have figured that one out -- when I went in I started at the winter Mt. Margaret TH and had a long, long hike before I got to Lillian.  Ah well, it was a "winter recon" trip, as much as anything else.  I got to Lillian, maybe a little higher, before turning around.  5606 looks like it would have some good skiing in the winter (and that was mostly what I was "reconning").

I see you have found my winter powder fields via 1000cc and a little bit of skining

author=arcticcat2 link=topic=13697.msg57244#msg57244 date=1245941167]
I see you have found my winter powder fields via 1000cc and a little bit of skining

I was thinking that would be a good way to get there in the winter, considering its a popular spot for sleds anyways. 

btw Adam, the Coombas are working out great!  :D

Reply to this TR

june-22-2009-lake-lillian-and-5606
JPH
2009-06-23 12:51:30