Home > Trip Reports > June 16/09-Mt. Baker-ride,hike,ski 10,000 feet

June 16/09-Mt. Baker-ride,hike,ski 10,000 feet

6/16/09
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Mtraslin on 6/22/09 8:42pm
Photos Mike Traslin/Andy Traslin Tuesday June 16 2009 10-12 HOURS

With three weeks of false starts and obssesive weather studying June 16 seem to be the day to hit Mount Baker.With a small twist we would have to bring our mountain bikes,as the road to the trail head had a washout.No sleep and a 4:30 start,it was time to slowly churn the cranks of our mountain bikes,as we were burdened by our skis and climbing gear.Burden of joy our burden of pain was yet to be determined on this mini possible epic.Two low rpm hours we were at the trail head,and eager to leave our bikes at peace in the trees.Ten thousand feet of biking,hiking,skiing we were at the summit of Mount Baker.Tired and happy we paid our respects with a quick visit on the summit,as we could see our friend Mr Whiteout on the way.The ski on the Roman Headwall was corn snow on a variable crust,but pretty good if you were able to put some power into your skiing.At 1:30 pm Andy and I took a quick nap before skiing the coleman glacier.The nap turned into a 30 minute sleep,five maybe ten minutes was the intention.When I woke my dazed state realized our ski route was barely visible,with intensity I told Andy it was time to hit it.I took first lead,then Andy in a state of extreme focus led us back down to safe terrain off the glacier.At 5000ft we switched back to our hiking shoes which were stashed in the trees.Fatigued tired and barely awake at 3500ft it was a fun transition to our mountain bikes blasting down the fire road.
Anouther fun successful day in the mountains,earning your turns with your own free will is somehow rewarding.

Way to get after it!!!!!!!  Thanks for the TR..any pics?

Here's a link with the photos.

<a href="http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31266

Looks like my brother Andy just posted photos on his response above!
Sorry I missed putting them in the original post!

So I hope people can see the photos now.

Thanks for the comments and giver!

I love the cascades!

Nice multi-mode trip.  Which trailhead did you use?
Was the road to Schreibers Meadow trailhead washed out?

Glacier creek road 39 biked the 8.5 miles to the Heliotrope Ridge trail head!

Hiked the standard trail untill 5000ft where we were able to put our skins on and tour up!
The snow is starting to go at that elevation!

There was two significant washouts on glacier creek road!
My brother talked to a few workers who were surveying the area,there might be a chance they will fix the road for july!(No guarante)

Thanks, I just talked to the Ranger. Their current plan is to have that road fixed this fall. They said no motorized vehicles were allowed past the closure. So, as you did, mountain bikes would be a good alternative.

Reply to this TR

june-16-09-mt-baker-ride-hike-ski-10-000-feet
Mtraslin
2009-06-23 03:42:23