Home > Trip Reports > The GF Coulior - 6.20.09 - Alpine Lakes

The GF Coulior - 6.20.09 - Alpine Lakes

6/15/09
Posted by Stugie on 6/22/09 3:20am
In the last few years, some friends of mine and myself have been working on a climbing area.  One of the things that always amazed me about the weather in Box Canyon is the way that the ridgelines bordering the Gold Creek area seem to hold off a lot of incliment weather.  When Exits 32 and 38 are getting drenched, we're having fun in the sun - without having to drive to Vantage.

When I noticed snow in the mountains surrounding the area a few years ago, I knew there were possible ski opportunities.  It wouldn't be much vert for how much hiking needed to be done, but it was such a cool area and I just wanted to explore.  The first year I just hiked up to scope out a line that topographical maps were saying "ski me".  I was pleasantly surprised to find everything I was looking for.

I thought I needed to give this coulior a "name" since I had heard of none, and this was becoming very much an annual stash for me since I'm in the area a lot.  (Un)fortunately, one thing I've learned from trying to access it a lot is that the timing has to be perfect.  Too early and the snow will keep you from getting up the trail (which is important since there are some steep rock bands and waterfalls to navigate - didn't feel comfortable skinning up it) and too late the snow will be melted out.  Anyways, it seems like everytime I go up there there are a lot of couples heading up...my gf came with the first time I skied it and kicked it at the beach.  She couldn't make it this time, but a couple of friends who are also a couple came with me.  Therefore, I dubbed it "The GF Coulior".

Either way, it's always a fun hike and a lot of great creek crossings, waterfalls, and varying types of fauna the entire way up.  Absolutely beautiful and good to take your gf/bf on, even if they don't want summer turns.  I have yet to get bad turns up there.  Creamy corn.

"It wouldn't be much vert for how much hiking needed to be done, but it was such a cool area and I just wanted to explore"

Awesome, way to keep the eyes open!  Now about the rock, that's some detail I'd like to hear ;-) 

Mmmm... that looks familiar... lots of good stuff up that way.

And I'd love to hear more about this rock.  Lots of THAT up there too...

Some of the rock we're working on...

The blue area marks what we've cleaned on that particular area.

Project cliff...this cliff is about 200' if seen at full.

In case anyone is concerned, we checked with the Forest Service about 3 years ago in regards to this specific area and they gave us the go ahead.  Been going up here for about three years now and the melt/freeze cycles haven't loosened any rock that I'm aware of.  It's rare, but it's solid cascade rock.

Wow, I've been looking for a place to take my bf...Moscawulff? Are you out there?

I was up there yesterday in a misty rain. Thanks for filling me in on who made those turns! The trail still has a bunch of deadfall on it but is in better shape than in past years.

Reply to this TR

the-gf-coulior-6-20-09-alpine-lakes
Stugie
2009-06-22 10:20:00