Home > Trip Reports > 6/20/09 Pineapple Basin...

6/20/09 Pineapple Basin...

6/20/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by gravyb on 6/21/09 11:58pm
Is it less cool to call it Great Scott Bowl?  I'd appreciate any comments on this as I fancy myself a hipster.

Arrived to the upper lot about 10:30.  Solid cloud cover and a refreshing 47 degrees.  Not raining and didn't my whole time up there. Based on a 6/12 TR, I put the skins on and planned to ascend the backcountry exit path out to Source Lake.  Before I read that TR, which mentioned pretty continous snow to S Lake, I had pictured taking the Snow Lake trail in the tenny runners to Source Lake Outlook.  If your destination is the basin/bowl with two names, I'd recommend the Snow Lake trail shoe it in approach.

I hit the first snow 100 yards in or so.  I enjoyed pretty continuos snow up to about 2/3 the way to Source Lake.  It then turned into a bush wack. There was a pretty exciting creek crossing, in which I charged through knee deep fast moving water.  Then an interesting scramble up slippery rock near a water fall.

Once to Source Lake it was pretty straight forward on up to the top of the basin.  I saw two people up there.  One guy running down and boot skiing.  The other booted to the top with skis on his pack.  After some grub and relaxing I enjoyed the turns on a great non-grabby surface.

Not wanting to descend the bush wack or the Snow Lake trail in the garmont's (should've packed in the shoes), I had to brain storm.  From the bottom of the basin I worked my way over to Piss Pass.  I then made it over past Knoll 1 and had a decent ski down Lower I.  It was easy travel back to the lot from there.  I took St Bernard's road and noticed they replaced a lot of the old wood with fresh wood on the unloading station.
Calling it GSB will earn you instant hipster cred.

Ha! I must have followed your footsteps yesterday. I got to the same "interesting rock scramble" and decided to throw in the towel and grab a beer back in town. I'd had plenty of fun wandering through the forest anyway. I think I might try to play hookey later in the week and try again on the Snow Lake Trail.

author=gravyb link=topic=13686.msg57162#msg57162 date=1245682697]
Is it less cool to call it Great Scott Bowl?  I'd appreciate any comments on this as I fancy myself a hipster.

Arrived to the upper lot about 10:30.  Solid cloud cover and a refreshing 47 degrees.  Not raining and didn't my whole time up there. Based on a 6/12 TR, I put the skins on and planned to ascend the backcountry exit path out to Source Lake.  Before I read that TR, which mentioned pretty continous snow to S Lake, I had pictured taking the Snow Lake trail in the tenny runners to Source Lake Outlook.  If your destination is the basin/bowl with two names, I'd recommend the Snow Lake trail shoe it in approach.

I hit the first snow 100 yards in or so.  I enjoyed pretty continuos snow up to about 2/3 the way to Source Lake.  It then turned into a bush wack. There was a pretty exciting creek crossing, in which I charged through knee deep fast moving water.  Then an interesting scramble up slippery rock near a water fall.

Once to Source Lake it was pretty straight forward on up to the top of the basin.  I saw two people up there.  One guy running down and boot skiing.  The other booted to the top with skis on his pack.  After some grub and relaxing I enjoyed the turns on a great non-grabby surface.

Not wanting to descend the bush wack or the Snow Lake trail in the garmont's (should've packed in the shoes), I had to brain storm.  From the bottom of the basin I worked my way over to Piss Pass.  I then made it over past Knoll 1 and had a decent ski down Lower I.  It was easy travel back to the lot from there.  I took St Bernard's road and noticed they replaced a lot of the old wood with fresh wood on the unloading station.

I've got those same 70's Flashback wheels on my Arbor longboard!  Nice!

Reply to this TR

6-20-09-pineapple-basin
gravyb
2009-06-22 06:58:17