Home > Trip Reports > June 21, 2009, Sunrise

June 21, 2009, Sunrise

6/21/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by md2020 on 6/21/09 2:10pm
Interesting day today. Sick and tired of the late Sunrise openings the last couple years,  Brenda and I decided to check out the hike up from White River Campground. Well aware of the lousy forecast we set our expectations very low. At least we'll get some exercise. Win rain through Greenwater and beyond things didn't look promising. Surprisingly dry at the TH, but thick cloud cover all around. We immediately screwed up by passing the Wonderland Trail and headed up Glaciier Basin .5 mile or so before realizing our mistake.

We finally found our way up to Sunrise and were greeted with full on snow flurries and some nasty wind. Undaunted we went ahead and climbed to the top of the ridge to check out the chutes just west of Antler Peak. Nasty wind and snow flurries and clouds moving in from the north. We decided to bag it.

Just as we had hiked part way down to the Sunrise lot a huge sucker hole appeared. That was it. We turned around and milked two laps. Really nice snow. Some of the recent new snow had even begun to fill in the suncups. We then headed down for a little picnic on one of the tables before our hike down. That didn't last long, as heavy clouds moved in, and the sky opened up with a full on snow storm. It was still dumping below 5000'. Good sized flakes, and really laying it down.

Anyway, we both feel like we really got one over on the "man" on this trip. And although I would prefer to maximize skiing time by driving, the hike up is well within our ski carrying range. I ain't gonna wait for Sunrise to open ever again.

nice work, way to nail it!

Nice Job!!!
Looks like substantial melt on the ridges, and it looks like RonJ's aptly named Fear Factor is out unless you want to air a rock.
Hmmm....
I will hold back on disturbing negativity about the Park not getting this open earlier.
Thanks for the early report and pictures, sounds like a lot more fun, and less work than splitting multiple cords of wood in the pouring rain.

Side note:
If you are thinking of sauntering up there this week, please be mindful of the terrain, especially near Burroughs as the Park service folks are especially sensitive saving the plant life in that area. Walk on rocks not plants.

Well done Mike and Brenda although it looks like a lot of the classic runs are nearly done.
Damn it, I was going to straight-line Fear Factor this year. ;)

Any idea what Denge looked like????

PS: NPS= full of FAIL!

I know. I kept looking up fear factor, but I don't like rocks and dirt.

Of the several times I've skied that chute that's the furthest I've ever had to downclimb to put on skis. I think the condition of fear factor is pretty representative of the area. I can't imagine Dege doing much better. We didn't really get a chance to check it out. The weather was just too lousy to hike any further down the ridge.

Reply to this TR

june-21-2009-sunrise
md2020
2009-06-21 21:10:09