Home > Trip Reports > June 19 : Frying Pan to Whiteman crest

June 19 : Frying Pan to Whiteman crest

6/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 6/19/09 1:32pm
Full disclosure : there are no photos as photos of  skiing in mist are not worth taking.
I was making arrangements to go to Baker when Snow Bell called and invited me to join him and his long time ski buddy Jay on a tour up the Fryingpan. Never having been there I decided to go and after getting picked up Late Thursday night we camped in an "undisclosed location" near the Park entrance.

What I love about ski touring is that no matter how much I do of it I'm always learning about the techniques,myself and my partners. Today was one of those days. Today I learnt " not to turn back".

The first instance of this was when we woke up. It had rained and as we scoffed breakfast beside our wet tents, the weather did not look promising. I would normally have bagged it here but " the no turn back boys" thought the weather great as it would be cool for hiking.

When we got to the trail head it was full on Cascade mist action. I would have turned back here as well.

As we hiked up to Summerland we reached at state of equilibrium where the wet mist was being dried by our exertion . When we got to Summerland that equilibrium had tilted towards the mist and I asked them if it was officially raining yet. Snow Bell said no and that he was sure he saw a sucker hole coming. I was ready to turn back here as well.

After a strenuous skin/bootpack up to Meany Crest I was treated to my first glimpse of the fabled Frying Pan glacier. Felt like skiing up a giant white ping pong ball surrounded in mist.
I was ready to turn back and get some turns back to Summerland but the boys don't turn back.

Visibility improved at that point( proving me wrong again) and we even had filtered sun and toured up to the Whiteman crest.

At the crest, after successfully talking Snow Bell out of exploration of the Whiteman and surrounding obscure glaciers( I am eternally grateful for Jay's support on this) we where ready to ski. At this point Snow Bell decided we should  climb up to the very top of the peak to get the best "fall line". I would not have done this but there was to be " no turning back". ;)

Internalizing the disappointment I felt that I was going to have to hike again I dutifully followed the dynamic duo. After one last ditch attempt by Snow Bell to persuade us to drop into the Whiteman we started down the " fall line". By this time the mist was so wet that by any normal persons definition it would have " been raining".

After skiing the " fall line", we discovered we where in an area where crevasses where evident all around us. After a little discussion we determined the "fall line " had taken us too far to the left. SnowBell skillfully led us through the crevasse field and we where back on track.

By this time it was raining and I didn't care what they thought, it was frigging raining.
The ski down to Summerland was on wet slush that skied well on the steep stuff.

The walk back to the TH was in the pouring rain and we where soaked to the skin but happy and fulfilled by our day.

I told SnowBell and Jay that I really wanted to thank them for " not turning back" when I would have done so about four different times and giving me a memorable day in what most would have considered turn around weather.

Thanks guys.
PS. The other thing I should mention is that at every stop you turn around for a minute and
Snow Bell's stripped to the waist. He's like some  bloody demented Chippendale's dancer baring his torso at every opportune moment.
Nice read, Scotty  ;)

when you're in it you have to tell yourself it's never rain ... just heavy mist  ;)
By this time the mist was so wet that by any normal persons definition it would have " been raining".

positive thinking 8)
PS. The other thing I should mention is that at every stop you turn around for a minute and Snow Bell's stripped to the waist. He's like some  bloody demented Chippendale's dancer baring his torso at every opportune moment.

neat tr ... we were actually thinking about heading up that way today ... though not for skiing yet

Sounds like you had an "ok" time.  Good TR - it was an enjoyable read.

Good write up, Scotty.  I guess you were still wondering if it was raining when Joe said 1,2,3 not it!

Regarding turning back, rest I assured, I will always vote with you in that. 8)  You're right, though that the most memorable trips are often the ones you remember most.

Scotty, nice read!  :) I was laughing.  Good stuff.  Summer tour?

Reply to this TR

june-19-frying-pan-to-whiteman-crest
Scotsman
2009-06-19 20:32:49