Home > Trip Reports > June 16 Elk Mountain ONP Part II

June 16 Elk Mountain ONP Part II

6/15/09
WA Olympics
Posted by Gary_H on 6/18/09 3:45pm
After the day we had on Saturday, it was hard to pass up an opportunity to return to Elk Mountain for another day on these great slopes. Greg (Stormking) and I departed the Deer Park trailhead at about 7:00 am under a lightly overcast sky and cool temps. We made the 6 mile hike out to Elk Mountain, enjoying the great views of the Olympic peaks and the exploding color of the early season wildflowers. Our goal was to ski the central chutes of Elk Mtn.
After arriving at the top of our first line, we found the entrance that Chmnyboy and David had used on Saturday (thanks guys for showing us the way  ;)). This run drops at over 40 degrees for 1,200 ft. The snow was sweet "creamed corn". The first picture is Greg on this line.
At the bottom, we evaluated our options. The chute to the right of our first run contained several rock bands, but it appeared there was continuous snow back to the ridge line. We decided to climb this to check it out. The climb confirmed or assessment, so we dropped this back to the bottom, another 1,200 vf, the upper portion approaching 45 degrees. The second picture is me in the center portion of this chute.
As we re-climbed our boot pack, we discussed our options. We were excited about finally skiing some new challenging terrain and  we had a two plus hour hike ahead of us back to the truck. But........ there was another line we noticed that originated to the east of our first run and dropped steeply into it about half way down. It was much narrower than our previous lines, but appeared to have a safe entrance.
After regaining the ridge, we scrambled over to a rock outcropping which overlooked the entrance. After confirming we had a safe entrance, we decided the only choice we had was to ski it  ???. This turned out to be the best snow of the day due to the shelter of the rock walls on both sides. The 3rd picture shows me in the upper portion of this run. This line dropped at 50 degrees for 500 vf. The crux contained a couple rocks which required a little "creative skiing" to negotiate. Once past this, it was sweet turns back into the main chute of our first run. We cut the descent short at this point, booted back to the ridge and headed back to Deer Park.
The round trip was about 13 miles, total elevation gain/loss was 6,500 vf: 3,000 of this was skiing/climbing.
How does this rate on the Reverse Joy-O-Meter Mac?   ;)
Thanks Greg for a great day.
Here is a link to some additional pictures.
          http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20090615ElkMountain#

Gary
author=GaryJan link=topic=13666.msg57069#msg57069 date=1245393908]
How does this rate on the Reverse Joy-O-Meter Mac?   ;)

I'd say it rates a "Most Excellent".

Reply to this TR

june-16-elk-mountain-onp-part-ii
Gary_H
2009-06-18 22:45:08