Home > Trip Reports > June 13 Elk Mountain ONP part I

June 13 Elk Mountain ONP part I

6/15/09
WA Olympics
Posted by ovrthhills on 6/17/09 3:25am
Sidnie, Alissa and I left home at 4:45AM headed for Deer Park at the eastern end of Hurricane Ridge.  We were joined by Gary and Jan and five other local skiers.  The trail accesses Elk mountain and Obstruction Point from the east and is a shorter hike than the still closed Obstruction Point Road.  We left the trailhead at 7:00AM  and made good time through the forested divide to the open meadows of Maiden Peak and Elk mountain.
The trail is in good shape with only one downed tree and several snow drifts requiring detours.  Maiden Peak was largely melted out so we continued on to Elk Mountain which is actually a mile long ridge with the high point being 6779 ft.  The trail meanders up and down until the last mile where it climbs to gain the ridge.  Directly east of the high point is a large chute/bowl that descents for about 1200 ft to meadows below.

We decided to ski this chute and after descending, six of the group decided to tour to the west chute and climb out via that route while Sidnie, Alex and I did two laps on the east chute in lightly cupped hero corn snow. After topping out on the ridge about a mile to west of us Tyler and David made another run down the steep "central chute", 1200vf of  continuous 45 degree fall line skiing,
[img  and the rest of their group joined us at the start point.  We packed up and headed out in growing thunderstorms which hastened our departure.  We returned to the cars about 5:00 PM after 13 miles on trail and 2000 vertical feet of skiing/climbing, tired after a rewarding day. Its obvious that Port Angeles is becoming a  growing northwest ski town and the local skiers are a great group.  We look forward to skiing with them again. 

Gary went back on Tuesday to ski the central chutes and I look forward to his report of these epic lines.     
Nice job Michael and gang
Wow, it's getting crowded in the Olys's!
Is that the same chute  we skied a few yesrs back or a different one?

Thanks for the write-up. Finding that many people at one location in the Olys is awesome, a big shout out to everyone for enduring the long slog out and back!

David (not sure of his TAY name) and I were both very excited to finally get that chute that stares you in the face from most anywhere in PA and Sequim, but Gary (of the GaryJan duo) certainly took me down a notch when I heard he skied THREE lines down the central chutes on Tuesday, each of which making my line look like the teacups at Disneyland. Gary, you've always gotta take the wind outta my sails... ;) Maybe you could at least post some pics?!?

13 miles on trail and 2000 vertical feet of skiing/climbing, tired after a rewarding day.

Last July Snowbell and I calculated our Elk outing as 14-1/2 miles with 1900 vf.  Does the Reverse Joy-O-Meter
rate our trip as more "rewarding"?
Skiing that wild ridge and looking at the ocean is a trip.

Because the Reverse Tired-O-Meter is more than pegged after a long day at work, this will be short, I will post a more complete report with some pictures in the next couple days.
Saturday was great fun. It was good to finally meet Michael and Sidnie. The weather and skiing just added to the fun.
On Tuesday Greg (Stormking) and I went back to ski the Central Chutes. This picture shows our results. We skied the center red line first (this is the same as the black line in Michael's photo and the line Tyler and David skied on Saturday), booted up the right blue line, skied back down the right red line, reclimbed the boot pack, skied the left red line and then climbed out via the left blue line.
Thanks to all for the fun times,

Gary and Jan

author=Scotsman link=topic=13652.msg57009#msg57009 date=1245277869]
Is that the same chute we skied a few years back or a different one?

We skied the large western chute not in the picture and climbed out the right branch of the chute in the far left of the picture.  The central chutes are considerably steeper but with a better(no) fall line.  This picture was taken from the Hurricane Ridge road two years ago on my solo trip out from waterhole.  Way more snow then.

Here is a link to some additional pictures from Saturday. Stay tuned for Elk Mountain ONP part II,
      http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20090613ElkMountain#

Gary

Wow, Jan and Gary and the Port Angles gang, thank you for sharing this with us!

Pics and TR are all wonderful! It was really an amazing day, even if I only skiied 1 run. The scree and meadow and snowfield ascent were really very beautiful (if gruelling). The electrical storm was exciting too - the lightening for a moment sounded like a heard of elk just as were just getting off the ridge. I think we left at at a good time and I am glad Gary and Tyler went back for seconds this week!

Fun walking back with you Chris! Fun riding out with you Michael and Sydnie!

Alisa

Reply to this TR

june-13-elk-mountain-onp-part-i
ovrthhills
2009-06-17 10:25:10