Home > Trip Reports > June 14, 2009, Sulphide Glacier

June 14, 2009, Sulphide Glacier

6/14/09
Posted by wterrano on 6/15/09 10:04am
Headed upto Baker Lake, looked cloudy so opted for the Sulphide. Left the car at 9:30.

Snow starts around 4400', continuous from there except three short patches (Close together -- one carry) at 5400' as you go around the cliff bands.
Summit was out for a little while around noon, breaks in the cloud cover got me to ~8200 ft.  Completely socked in then, after waiting awhile I had to ski my
uptrack to the bottom of the cloud around 7500'. 

Beautiful day below there! Great corn all afternoon. 

How were road conditions and the dry part of the approach?  Any significant obstacles on the approach or the route?

More detailed conditions :

1) Road is clear to trailhead.  Trail is snow free and easy to above the switchbacks

2) The glacier is still very well filled in on climbers left.

3) From what I could see of the summit, the central gully looked like it was *probably past skiing, but I couldn't be sure.  By the time I was near the pyramid it was a complete whiteout, but parties who had camped and hit the morning clearing had summitted.  Not sure of their route, they said a rope was handy.

Hope this helps!

Great, thanks very much.

When I was up there two weekends ago the summit was not really skiable.  It was a mess of deep steps, avy runnels and fallen and exposed rocks.  By now I can't imagine it would be worth skiing above the base of the pyramid.

Reply to this TR

june-14-2009-sulphide-glacier
wterrano
2009-06-15 17:04:21