Home > Trip Reports > June 14, Mt Adams, SW Chutes

June 14, Mt Adams, SW Chutes

6/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Slatski on 6/14/09 12:57pm
Quick conditions report and TR.  I had no partners available so decided on a solo climb of Adams and a descent of SW chutes.  Arrived at Morrison Creek campground about 830 pm Sat night.  The road to Cold Springs was blocked by snow (except for high clearance 4WD, my Toyota truck 4WD couldn't make it) about 1/2 mile from the hair pin bend at Morrison Crk.  Decided to camp and approach from Morr Crk.  Started walking from the trailhead (4680ft) north up the trail at
5 AM.  Snow became continuous and skinnable at 5240 ft by heading up the creek bed immediately to climbers right.  Creek goes N for a ways and then heads E.  Followed drainage ("Morrison Creek" on the topo) up to the E then NE and intersected the normal South climb route at about 6800ft.  Skinned up the normal route to false summit.  After 7,000 feet of climbing and 5 1/2 hrs later, I reached the false summit (11,657ft) at 1030 AM.  During the ascent of Suksdorf Ridge the cumulonimbus clouds were building.  During my lunch, the false summit went into a whiteout at 1100.  I decided to leave as thunderstorms were predicted and headed down the SW Chutes at 1115.  The chutes became transiently much clearer during the descent which made it much more fun.  Snow consistency in the chutes was very good.  Headed straight down from the bottom of the chutes through the trees to Morrison Creek campground and reached the truck by 130 PM.  It was good day with better than expected weather.  The Huckleberry shake in Trout Lake topped it off nicely.
Images include:  picture of Suksdorf Ridge and SW Chutes from normal route near "lunch counter",  pic taken up the chutes during descent and Adams in clouds after the climb.
Perfect.
Just the way I would have done it  :)
(except I wouldn' have made it up from Morrison Creek CG to Pikers in 5.5 hrs... not even close)  8)

Such a fine place, alone or with friends... Glad you got it good! :)!

Were there tracks going up the road and do you think that it was clear enough to make it to cold springs if you had the right height truck?

There were some tracks going up the road, but the ruts were pretty deep and my truck couldn't handle it.  A large, high clearance truck with off-road tires probably would have made it.  Also, the way things are going, it may be almost fully melted out by next weekend.  Have fun!

Reply to this TR

june-14-mt-adams-sw-chutes
Slatski
2009-06-14 19:57:15