Home > Trip Reports > June 12-13, 2009, - Bachelor, Beers and Brook Trout

June 12-13, 2009, - Bachelor, Beers and Brook Trout

6/12/09
OR elsewhere
Posted by stoudema on 6/14/09 12:27am
Life is good living in Oregon in June. The snow is still decent and the fishing is picking up. The prime window for both activities is just too short.

Todd and I headed out from work early to find a camping spot somewhere close to Mt. Bachelor on the Cascade Lakes Highway. Original plans to hit Tam McArthur Rim or Diamond Peak were thwarted due to weather and the Sisters Rodeo/Circus. So instead we chose Mt. Bachelor, which has been closed for about a month. The weather did not look promising, with 70% showers forecast, and lightening and hail also likely. It's been a really cloudy rainy June down here, making it difficult to get any turns.

Camp was at Hosmer Lake, and we soon had a nice fire going and tarp set-up. It rained off and on. Here's a photo of our objective from the south side taken from the Lake (we hit the north side)....

After a few beers and lots of bs by the fire, we hit the sack.  To our suprise, the next morning dawned clear. Here's Bachelor in the morning light....

We headed up to the mountain, but soon turned around to get our poles which we had left to support out tarp.  By 7:45 or so we were skinning up under the Pine Martin lift. When we were above the chairlift, clouds started building big time. Big boiling thunderheads and dark skies sent us down the mountain w/o hitting the summit and getting the goods in the Cirque Bowl. 

We returned to camp, and made some more firewood. After making friends with several resident chipmunks, we headed to Lava Lake to get a few supplies. I needed to be home for some family stuff on Sunday, so I headed out at 2pm and went back to the mountain for another try. The weather was still menacing, but I was able to get up the Cinder Cone and make some turns. I literally ran up the mountain, hot footing it not wanting the weather to change or the lurking thunderhead to get me. I made it in time and the ride down was cream. Total vertical for the day was around 2200 feet. Here's a shot from the top of the Cone showing the South Sister and Broken Top. I'm pretty sure there wasn't anyone on the South Sister today becasue of the recent weather, but it still has some good lines on it.

Back at the parking lot with a Cinder Cone brew from Deschutes.......

On the way back I had an hour or two to kill, so I fished a stretch of the Deschutes River upstream of Crane Prairie. It's been awhile since I've fished up here and it was a good time. I used my little ultralight rod and reel and only lost two lures  Here's a couple of pics of the stretch I fished....

I caught several small brook trout like this one that I threw back - they sure have pretty color to them.....

Overall it was a nice trip, given the unstable weather we've been having here in the PNW lately
That's not a Brookie, but nice way to mix up activities. I'm almost in full fly fishing mode! You have some very nice fishing waters down there. Enjoy!

Great TR and photos.  The weather sure makes a touring day short but then you probably had a good supply of Deschutes beer, firewood and all those "new friends" at your campsite.   ;)

author=TobyT link=topic=13627.msg56864#msg56864 date=1244995568]
That's not a Brookie, but nice way to mix up activities. I'm almost in full fly fishing mode! You have some very nice fishing waters down there. Enjoy!

You're right, I posted the pic of the little redside I caught.  Didn't get any real good pics of the brookies.......

Purty fish anyway....

author=Zap link=topic=13627.msg56865#msg56865 date=1244996273]
Great TR and photos.  The weather sure makes a touring day short but then you probably had a good supply of Deschutes beer, firewood and all those "new friends" at your campsite.   ;)

Yeah - Deschutes beer tastes good, but always tastes better when camping ;)

Reply to this TR

june-12-13-2009-bachelor-beers-and-brook-trout
stoudema
2009-06-14 07:27:32