Home > Trip Reports > 6/9/09 evening 6/10/09- Summerland, Whitman Crest

6/9/09 evening 6/10/09- Summerland, Whitman Crest

6/9/09
Posted by skierlyles on 6/11/09 4:47am
€œThe wife said I should go skiing,€ Joe says. Chris to Joe: €œthen let€™s go€¦€
€œWell, where should we go?€ Joe asks. €œLooks like rain and thundershowers up and down the Cascades,€ Chris replies. Seems to be the theme of the week.

Baker, N. Cascades, Hood, Adams, and Rainier were all discussed. Eventually the possibility of rainshadowing in the lee of Rainier was decided upon. We both had a few days to get away but were not ready in time for a true two day/overnighter, so settled for 1.5 days with an overnighter sprinkled in for fun. Thought it would be a good idea to dial in the snow camping setups, so we packed the bags for a test-overnighter in the Summerland area. The objectives were to: get in, set-up camp, ski for a few hours before dark, sleep, rise early in the am, and attempt little Tahoma. Only a few of these happened, some due to faults of our own, others due to the whim of mother nature.

We arrived at the Fryingpan Creek trailhead to a downpour accompanied by hail particles breaking up on my windshield. Decided to drink a beer or two€¦ Rain continues. Decided to go see if the rangers were nice enough to leave the gate up to Sunrise open for us, not a chance. Thought we may be able to salvage some skiing out at Chinook while waiting for the weather down valley to subside€¦nope. More clouds auguring bad weather were moving in. Found keys to some GM vehicle with attached allen wrench€¦score (Mt. Rainier lost and found now has your keys, whoever you are)! I hoped that this good samaritan act would provide us with a weather window for access to the mountains. Drove back to the FP creek TH to rain subsiding and slight clearing.

€œSac up!€ Joe quips. €œWhat?€ Chris asks€¦ €œOh, that sac€¦€

Rain gear on, bags packed, and an 8€™oclock pm start time, we were finally off. We wondered why even bother humping gear in this late. Oh well, didn€™t pack it for nothing.

Arrived at our campsite just below Summerland€™s slopes around 9:30. Made camp in a nice treed bench and before long were asleep (drinking and debauchery omitted).

Awoke to birds chirping and my wristwatch computer completely dead. 6 am start time fails, 8 am awakening ensues. Hit the trail at the leisurely hour of 9 am and started up the Summerland slopes. Skinning transitioned to booting up the steep upper sections in still supportable 4-6 inch slushtop. I would normally blame us for the late start and sloppy snow but it never refroze overnight, as temps were quite warm during the night. Made good time to the crest right of point 7573. Enjoyed the opening and closing views of little Tahoma and the glaciers spilling down off Rainier€™s flanks before continuing up the Fryingpan Glacier. Being quite close to the cloud deck we could feel the rays pounding down on us as we climbed upwards. They don€™t call it the fryingpan for nothing!

Skin up showed minimal to no bridge sagging, some runnel development, and minimal suncupping. No open crevasses were seen on our route up the Fryingpan (further west was a different story). Snow was smooth but far from corn. While skinning up, we noted the steep section off 9323 that showed a bergschrund or glide crack opening with ski tracks right down and over it. Good job whoever that was.

Visibility came in and out as we arrived at Whitman Crest. We enjoyed the warmth and near breezeless calm for the next 20 minutes. Chatted about heading over to the Whitman glacier and cruising up to Little Tahoma. Saw the melted out traverse made by other ski party (in late May) and their boot pack up to the summit. This tempted us, but the ominous weather lurking made me skeptical of a successful attempt. Then, thunderclaps, light snow, and a bit of graupel! We looked at each other and made the decision to head down. Fryingpan was now in near whiteout visibility, but ski tracks and uptrack were easy to follow. Snow skied well despite being baked€¦ I cannot wait to actually ski corn, but not to be had this time. Came below the cloud deck into light rain at 8,000 feet. Decided to ski the steepish face to the skier€™s left of point 7573. Good decision, as we had fun turns down snow gaining water content with every turn. By the bottom of Summerland€™s slopes it turned into a waterski. Forces you to keep your center, and makes you focus on technique (gotta find a positive spin)- so no complaints here.

Packed up camp, drank some vodka, and enjoyed our buzzed walk out into the sunny weather below.

Pic 1- bootpack up to crest near 7573
Pic 2- Joe sunning at crest right of 7573
Pic 3- Joe skiing down below 7573

no pics of fryingpan and whitman crest as camera acted up

"Joe sunning at crest"? I don't see the sun, just a half-neckid Joe...
So . . . ready for a return trip tomorrow for better luck? ;)

Nothing better than vodka and turns!

author=Stugie link=topic=13615.msg56813#msg56813 date=1244753684]
Nothing better than vodka and turns!

Sure helped the walk out feel less painful (pack needs to be lightened up a bit- I am taking notes from Joe).

Sounded good, boys---hope it's still in condition in July.

Sorry to be less than enthusiastic about your offer to link up on a skiing trip this week, Chris.I've become kind of picky about my weather conditions; being retired does give me more options since I am no longer limited to weekends. Most of my skiing partners are creatures of the "traditional" ski season so I will gladly hook up with you and/or Joe during the summer and fall.
btw mountain forecasts for Mt.Baker are looking a little better for the upcoming week. I would like to get out this Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks for putting up the TR Chris.  Fun trip despite the fickle weather.

The Frying Pan Creek Trail is in great condition with just one tree to duck and no bridge troubles.  Nearly snow free until the final crossing below Summerland.  A much nicer walk than the one to Glacier Basin.

It was a good opportunity to work out some bugs in my ever evolving over night pack.  I am having trouble reconciling the light frameless packs with extended periods with my skis and boots attached.  I nearly have a dynafit set-up put together which will help quite a bit but still I think that the proper pack has so far eluded me.  Maybe a light pack instead of an ultralight pack is what I need.

Anyway, the skiing was fun despite the precip, white out and thunder.  Ironically, as we neared our camp in Summerland, the weather had passed and Little T was fully exposed for the first time of the trip.  We could have gone for it but that is a hard call to make when the weather sets in.  I suppose the retreat was warrented given our observations.

author=Teleskichica link=topic=13615.msg56812#msg56812 date=1244752186]
"Joe sunning at crest"? I don't see the sun, just a half-neckid Joe...

You presume me only half-neckid?   ;)

author=Snow Bell link=topic=13615.msg56868#msg56868 date=1245009448]
You presume me only half-neckid?   ;)

Giving you the benefit of the doubt there...  ;D

I have a BD Predator pack and abso-fricken-lutely love it! Great support and breaks down really light... great for overnight, maybe too much for day pack, but can't beat it's overall functionality.

author=skierlyles link=topic=13615.msg56807#msg56807 date=1244749669]
...so settled for 1.5 days with an overnighter sprinkled in for fun.

hmmmm...one can only wonder what this means  ;D

Reply to this TR

6-9-09-evening-6-10-09-summerland-whitman-crest
skierlyles
2009-06-11 11:47:49