Home > Trip Reports > June 9, 2009, Governor's Ridge

June 9, 2009, Governor's Ridge

6/9/09
Posted by md2020 on 6/10/09 4:02am
I've been looking up at that gap above Cayuse Pass for many years now, and always wanted to go check out the area beyond. On Sat Brenda and I had driven up there with the intent of heading out there, but drizzle and socked in conditions had us driving away without even having gotten out of the car.

On Tue my friend Frank and I returned to much better weather. We climbed to the top of the highway chute, then spent some time figuring the best way down the steepish treed slopes on the west side. After abandoning an attempt to traverse towards Sheepskull Gap, we finally booted straight down the gut. Snow was a bit firm and steep, and I was a little concerned.

At the bottom we headed straight for the bowl due west of Sheepskull Gap and climbed the short narrow chute at the head of the bowl. Ski down was steep for us, and we were pretty impressed with ourselves. Climbed up into a little side bowl below pk 6548 for some nice north aspect corn, then messed around in the next bowl north for some shorter runs before heading out. Ski down the highway chute was great, and I can now check it off the list. Lots more terrain to explore back there, and I'll definitely be back.

Nice report Michael. Thanks.
You're encroaching on Joedabaker's back yard ;)
That's nice terrain back there. We call your highway chute "Big Rock Chute" due to the volkswagen to boxcar size boulders scattered at the bottom.  8)

That's funny Ron-
Ironically I was looking at that far chute today wondering when I would get out there this year. Maybe the cornices have recessed enough to safely get to the top of Gov ridge next to it, did you see?
From the top of the west chute (2nd picture middle rt), it's tough to tell, you have to kinda know where to look, but was there continuous snow on the other side to Owyhigh Lake?
Surprisingly the main body of the terrain back there is pretty mellow rolling terrain through patches of trees the steepest part is getting there and getting out or nearer to Gov ridge.

Great job of getting over the hump you two!

Last year I was doing a solo venture to Tamanos Chute and back and I heard this howling that went on and on. I finally spotted a rather large Coyote that was just singing a tune. I howled back and it took off like the dickens straight up Gov ridge never to be seen again.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=13604.msg56764#msg56764 date=1244678004]

Ironically I was looking at that far chute today wondering when I would get out there this year. Maybe the cornices have recessed enough to safely get to the top of Gov ridge next to it, did you see?
From the top of the west chute (2nd picture middle rt), it's tough to tell, you have to kinda know where to look, but was there continuous snow on the other side to Owyhigh Lake?

Didn't look like much of cornices left atop that side bowl, if that's what you're talking about. Where there are no cliffs everything around that bowl is pretty much discontinuous near the top. There was one long chute on the south side just east of that side bowl that went to the top and it had no cornice. You probably know the one I'm talking about.

I'm not exactly sure how one gets down that back side, but it didn't look to inviting to me. From what I can tell the snow is pretty much continuous from the top down to Owyhigh Lake.

Sunrise looks to be melting out pretty fast.

Reply to this TR

june-9-2009-governor-s-ridge
md2020
2009-06-10 11:02:09