Home > Trip Reports > June 6-7, 2009, Mt. Adams

June 6-7, 2009, Mt. Adams

6/6/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by telemack on 6/9/09 3:29am
SkiPrince, altasnob and I skied the South Climb, approaching from Morrison Creek.  The summer trail was not too bad to follow and led us to snow-free tent sites on a knoll at 6200'. 
Clouds steadily crept in, and much of the lower mountain was socked in.  We stayed above the cloud layer much of the time, but ascended in a whiteout at times.  The mountain was clear all day above 10,000'.  Ski crampons ruled for the climb. 
Two of the party summitted and rode off the top of the Mazama Glacier, then met the third at Piker's.  Due to the vis, time, fatigue and the need to find the tent we reversed the ascent. 
7300 v.f.' of skiing down to 4900', only about a mile of hiking.  Much of the down was in heavy fog, but the cloud cover kept the snow from getting too slushy.  Hundreds of sweet carves on margarine were laid down.  Camping really did not save us much time, but was scenic and gave us vantage points to pick the route. 
SW Chutes next time!   8)
Thanks for a fine outing, boys, and hello to Michael of Portland---this guy recently moved from CA and has already skied Rainier and Hood from their tops.  I told him he'd better register on TAY so he doesn't run out of objectives!    :)

Here is a link to Jay's snaps:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jay.w.wilkinson/MtAdams?feat=email#
Are those a pair of Factor's Chris is wearing.??????
If so did he leave them behind.???
See Random Tracks re pair of Factors left on Adams.
Bad luck with weather.

Telemack, were you with the Kitsap County contingent in the Honda Element?  If so, good to meet you and your gang.  We were surprised we didn't run into you again, we must have camped just below and maybe to the west of you.
We also ran into Michael on our descent near Morrison Creek and he came out with us to the road.  Energetic and enthusiastic guy, I'm sure we'll be seeing him around!
We waited till a little after 1:30 to ski SW chutes and it was creamy corn heaven all the way down.  The clouds sure made the skiing consistent down to lower elevation, and kept the routefinding back to camp interesting below the chutes.
Let's see if I can post a few pics..

author=natefred link=topic=13591.msg56718#msg56718 date=1244579447]
Telemack, were you with the Kitsap County contingent in the Honda Element? 

Yea, 'twas us.  I thought we'd see you too. Did you go up the South Climb and summit?  If so you musta been ahead of us all day.

Great skiing out there eh? nice to have a bit more consolidation.

We camped one drainage west of morrison creek at 6100' and were able to pretty easily join the south side route, slogging to the summit a little after noon.  Camping where we did worked out pretty well, maybe not a time saver but we thought well worth it too. - thanks to last week's TR poster for suggesting the morrison creek descent.

There were three guys on the summit drinking beers when I got there. Turns out one of them got lost in the fog on the way down:

Sailor Found on Mount Adams
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/jun/08/sailor-found-mount-adams/

Oooops.  Guess that's what happens when you bring the beers up with you, no incentive to find them on the way down.
Could've sworn I saw you guys drop into the SW chutes 1/2 hr before we headed down...

author=Scotsman link=topic=13591.msg56714#msg56714 date=1244573107]
Are those a pair of Factor's Chris is wearing.??????
If so did he leave them behind.???
See Random Tracks re pair of Factors left on Adams.
Bad luck with weather.

Nope, those are the Methods.  And I have them in the storage room, so no lost gear for me.

Another article on the lost sailor:

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/jun/16/bangor-sailor-kept-wits-about-him-while-lost-on/

Reply to this TR

june-6-7-2009-mt-adams
telemack
2009-06-09 10:29:45