Home > Trip Reports > June 6, 2009, Baker, Easton glacier

June 6, 2009, Baker, Easton glacier

6/6/09
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by androolus on 6/8/09 1:11am
Warning: This is not a trip report because I don't have any pics right now. Hoping my compatriots will provide some soon.

Friday night: Drove to 1/4 mile of trailhead....started skinning 200 feet from car. Skinned to creek crossing on small ribbon of snow on climbers right, most of rock field is melted out, creek flowing very high...splash splash...soggy feet. Glad I didn't attempt this in the dark. Carry skis 200 feet to another creek crossing...okay finally skinning again.

Saturday socked in of course....skinning through the fog from camp at 6100ft. Much pollen and many worms. 7200 feet....sunshine and clean snow....Yeah. Crevasse crossings still solid...why did I carry this rope on my back to the summit?

Roman wall a bit mushy for tele-turns but still fun in sick way. Crater to 7200 feet, nice corn. And then descend into fog, pollen and worms. Ooo yuck sticky goo.

Spent the night saturday helping with a class. Given the road closure on coleman-deming, suprisingly few people up there....less than 200. Glimpsed summit through the clouds occasionally on Sunady and never saw CF on roman wall.
Pictures do not a trip report make!  Thanks for the conditions update.

Reply to this TR

june-6-2009-baker-easton-glacier
androolus
2009-06-08 08:11:16