Home > Trip Reports > June 7, 2009, Pilchuck, Father and Son trip

June 7, 2009, Pilchuck, Father and Son trip

6/7/09
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 6/7/09 1:51pm
Watching the weather forecast slowly deteriorate throughout the week, plans were made and options discussed ad infinitum.  A hiker in distress took care of Friday night and Saturday, so Sunday came around without great ambitions other than some good old family time.  Asked my son if he wanted to go to Pilchuck and 30 minutes later we were packed and in the car with sandwiches and gatorade bottles thanks to the spousal support unit. 

We put the boots in the backpack and the skis on it and started hiking a little past 11.  Hit snow just a little bit up from the parking lot.  Most folks still heading up the 'winter trail.'  A real good whiteout all the way to the top and back made for vertigolicious travelling.  Met up with Jeff and Gordy at the top, they were heading for the SE couloir.  We headed back the way we came from after snacks and a freshly brewed jet boil of beef bullion.  Skiing down was ok, followed the up tracks mostly, carried the skis for one short section and could ski to withing 50 ft of the car. 

Another great day out building father-son relations.

Pilchuck still good for a while.
It was nice to see that you guys got up. Nice Job, Kristoffer!
Skiing by braille, with 50' visibility added a nice touch on Larrison Ridge :)
~Jeff

Hey, Kristoffer, looks like you were having fun.  When do I get to tour with you?

FYI.  Kurt and I headed up there this morning to find the gate closed.  We stopped at the Ranger Station to inquire.  Evidently there is a culvert problem and a hole in the road that they feel could cause a collapse in the road just beyond the gate, hence it will be closed this week but may open by the weekend.

It's a shame you got him on teles at such a young age. He has so many years ahead of him...

That is cool beyond all manner of description that your son is game to hike to ski!!!!  Hope to run into you two in the mountains sometime!

Reply to this TR

june-7-2009-pilchuck-father-and-son-trip
Oyvind_Henningsen
2009-06-07 20:51:50