Home > Forum > FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams

FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams

• dave_perkins
  • [dave_perkins]
More
07 Jun 2009 19:57 #187406 by dave_perkins
FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams was created by dave_perkins
PM me with type and size so I can get them back to you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Jun 2009 11:08 #187410 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams
Must have been fun to add more weight to your pack. ;)
Not my boots, but from the reports I'm reading these days if I temporarily stash anything I better leave a note or it will get picked up. :D

• dave_perkins
  • [dave_perkins]
More
08 Jun 2009 11:18 #187411 by dave_perkins
Replied by dave_perkins on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams
No they are not Ranger Ricks. They were sitting next to my car when I got back down.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Jun 2009 11:49 #187412 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams
What the hell is going on around here????
It's like a Twilight Zone episode!
Lost ice -axes, found ice-axes, touring boots left behind, chocs missing, crampons found, crampons lost.
I'm getting soooo confused ??? ???

How does somebody leave touring boots behind.???
It's getting to be a s**t show out there folks!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
08 Jun 2009 12:13 #187413 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams
I just "found" a car that somebodty left behind at the Mt. Baker parking lot. I brought it home so I can try to find the rightful owner. It is a gold, 2008 Rav4. PM me if it is yours.

8)

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Jun 2009 13:38 - 08 Jun 2009 13:46 #187414 by Scotsman
This is a true story and happened to me about 7 years ago.
I went up to Muir, on returning there was a pair of Glacier sunglasses lying on my rear bumper where obviously someone had left them. They where nice and I decided to keep them.
Two weeks later I went back up to Muir with a buddy. As I approached the car on the way back I told him about the sunglasses I had found the last time.
When we got to the car, there was another pair of sunglasses lying on my rear bumper in the exact same spot.
Freaked me out I can tell you.
My friend accused me of setting it up which I had not.
I was freaked out and decided that I was being sent a message and that I should have handled in the first pair to the Ranger station.
I hot- footed it over to the Ranger station and handed in both pairs to the Lost and Found.
Nobody claimed either pair and eventually they where sent to me.
Very weird.
I think it's due to parallel universes. ;D
An Ice -axe is lost on  Shuksan and then one found on HOOD. Coincidence , I think not.
I think Hugh Everetts theory on parallel unviverses explains all these mssing and then found articles on different mountains.

More
08 Jun 2009 14:11 #187415 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams

What the hell is going on around here????
It's like a Twilight Zone episode!
Lost ice -axes, found ice-axes, touring boots left behind, chocs missing, crampons found, crampons lost.
I'm getting soooo confused ??? ???

How does somebody leave touring boots behind.???
It's getting to be a s**t show out there folks!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D

You forgot to mention the found ski.. the one ski.. where the apparent rightful owner (of a single stashed ski) berated the good Samaritan. And then this mornings' missing choccos report.

I started a reply to one of those threads this AM, wondering about what the heck is going on, but figured I must just be missing something (which, of course, may still be true :) ), so didn't put it up. Maybe it's the pollen.

About those boots, kinda wondering where they were. Not lookin' to start a new case of 'should've left it' vs. 'atta boy', but there are few obvious examples of 'no owner nearby' and probably many situational examples of 'could be near, planning to return' . And then there is the only obvious case of a stash, which is a pair of Black Butte porters chillin' in the snow, which, of course, unattended, poses the most difficult moral question to any passerby.

The collective wisdom of many posters on these lost and found subjects is guiding me to believe that perhaps it is best, generally, to leave what we find where it is. This, despite the pleasure of reuniting object and owner.

If I enjoyed a good rant, it might be that I would say that I hope the two apparent federal employees who were down on the equipment rescuers are not among those who issue fines to others who stash their gear.

The Rav 4 is mine. Put it back

• andyrew
  • [andyrew609]
More
08 Jun 2009 14:42 #187416 by andyrew
Replied by andyrew on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams

And then there is the only obvious case of a stash, which is a pair of Black Butte porters chillin' in the snow, which, of course, unattended, poses the most difficult moral question to any  passerby.

Were those porters at Paradise?  About 10 days ago?  In a snowbank next to the new visitor's center? If so, those were ours and melted out from their hiding spot. Fortunately, we split up the cache to confuse thieves...

• Aaron_Riggs
  • [Aaron_Riggs]
More
08 Jun 2009 16:41 #187417 by Aaron_Riggs
Replied by Aaron_Riggs on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams

PM me with type and size so I can get them back to you.

Dave, if they are brand new BD Methods 27.5 then they are mine. Thanks.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
08 Jun 2009 18:14 #187418 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams
Yesterday I was cleaning out my all-purpose ski gear bag and I found a pair of nice Julbo sunglasses which I've never seen before. Put them on and looked in the mirror--I looked ridiculous. Looked out the window--whooohooo! The whole world was created anew! I sure hope they're not part of anyone's stash, because I think I could learn to like them.

The problem I'm having is that I haven't skied with anyone else this year....and after being stood up by Tim a couple of weekends ago, I'm not sure I'll ever risk trying to ski with anyone ever again. So....where'd the sunglasses come from? Did someone lose a pair in California or Hawaii, only to have them reappear in the back of my van? This is getting creepy.

BTW, the RAV-4 is not DavidG's; his is a 2007. It's mine, and it's an integral part of an ongoing investigation by the crack personnel of our ever-burgeoning Department of Homeland Security. Put it back *right* where you found it or start packing for Guantanamo Bay.

Mark

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Jun 2009 18:46 #187419 by Scotsman
OMG Mark!
the sunglasses I wrote about above where a pair of Julbo sunglasses.!!!!
Obviously all these things people have been leaving in the mountains has disturbed the fabric of the space-time continuum and quantum theory dictates that if you look at pair of discarded touring boots then Julbo sunglasses will appear in someone else's universe.
That's what happened to me and now you too!!
Scary.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
08 Jun 2009 19:28 #187420 by markharf
Jeez, Chris: whatever you do, DO NOT look at any pairs of Chacos you might see! Or ice axes!

• Don Heath
  • [Rusty Knees]
More
08 Jun 2009 20:38 #187421 by Don Heath
Replied by Don Heath on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams
I have a standing joke that if I drive, I get any gear left in my vehicle. Most of you are too organized, though so all I ever find is a single smelly sock, or empty beer bottle.

I did happen to pull out a tent the other day that I don't remember buying. Sunglasses, boots, a tent - wake me up when somebody finds the body.

• Teleskichica
  • [Teleskichica]
More
08 Jun 2009 23:16 - 08 Jun 2009 23:35 #187422 by Teleskichica
Replied by Teleskichica on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams
Thanks for the laugh all! :D :D :D

So, was it a MOSS tent, Don?

• dave_perkins
  • [dave_perkins]
More
09 Jun 2009 09:57 #187423 by dave_perkins
Replied by dave_perkins on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams

Dave, if they are brand new BD Methods 27.5 then they are mine. Thanks.

Aaron they are not Methods.

I know it always a judgment call weather to take something and try and find the owner vs. leaving it and hoping they come back to get it. In this case, driving to Adams is a long haul from just about everywhere and I figured the owners would not discover their loss until they got home. The other factor was that there was not another car parked with in 25 yards of mine. There was a silver 4-runner I parked next to when I arrived so I am assuming that was the owner. I have posted here and CC.com in an attempt to find the owner. I guess I did what I hope someone else would do if I left something behind.

• Snow Bell
  • [Snow Bell]
More
09 Jun 2009 10:18 #187424 by Snow Bell
Replied by Snow Bell on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams
Hey Dave, put me down for some Scarpa Spirits, maybe 27 ish.
Thanks.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
09 Jun 2009 10:32 #187425 by markharf

I have posted here and CC.com in an attempt to find the owner.

Dave, have you contacted the USFS office? Not meaning any insult, just curious. I remember an era before the internet, when this would have been the normal recourse for lost gear---lots of folks still live their lives in that era.

Mark

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Jun 2009 11:46 #187426 by Scotsman
See Telemack's TR.
One of their party is wearing Factors.
Maybe ???????

More
09 Jun 2009 18:22 #187427 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams

I have a standing joke that if I drive, I get any gear left in my vehicle. Most of you are too organized, though so all I ever find is a single smelly sock, or empty beer bottle.

you 're right rusty . All I ever got left in my rig was a garlic bagel and women's underwear! I'm still explaining that !
"PArallell universe " Is that better than a Tele universe?

• Don Heath
  • [Rusty Knees]
More
09 Jun 2009 18:56 #187428 by Don Heath
Replied by Don Heath on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams

you 're right rusty . All I ever got left in my rig was a garlic bagel and women's underwear!

Ahem...If it was a thong, I think those are mine.  I've been outed...

• SlowWalker
  • [SlowWalker]
More
11 Jun 2009 08:40 #187445 by SlowWalker
Replied by SlowWalker on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams

The collective wisdom of many posters on these lost and found subjects is guiding me to believe that perhaps it is best, generally, to leave what we find where it is.  This, despite the pleasure of reuniting object and owner.

Hi, I'm a long time lurker here.  Finally got AT skis and bindings this year, so maybe I can start posting too.

I'll just chime in here to say that last summer I stupidly left a pair of new mountaineering boots behind my car at the TH for Heliotrope Ridge and then drove home.  As soon as I got home I realized what I had done, but was way too tired to make the 4 hour drive back.  I called the Glacier Ranger station and left a description and contact info, then left Seattle the next morning and went all the way back hoping to find them right where I left them. 

No such luck.  I left a message on the bathroom building, talked to the trail crew who was working on the bridge and  a couple of climbers returning to the lot, and checked in again with the ranger in Glacier.  No joy.  Posted a message on NWHikers and WTA.

Anyway, I think whoever took them didn't want to find the rightful owner.  All they had to do was call or stop at the ranger station and they would have been able to get in touch with me.  Or just leave them there, for I did return. 

I think the higher the value of the left item, the more effort the owner will put into coming back for them.  If I left a pair a $400 boots in the parking lot at Adams, I probably would have driven then 4 - 5 hours back to try to retrieve them.  If I had left a pair of ski poles, or sunglasses,  I wouldn't bother.

I liked the story about the sunglasses.  Returned to the ranger station, no one claimed them so he ended up getting to keep them.  I wish someone had done that with my boots.

(Orange and yellow, if you found them last summer, please contact me.)

More
11 Jun 2009 09:16 #187448 by davidG
Greetings SlowWalker. Theft is the wild card, isn't it? Gear forgotten in the parking lot near the end of the day probably needs a savior ~ Dave was spot on. Mangerks' Chocs, stashed on route, didn't need a savior ~ they were despicably ripped.

Wish someone had turned in your left gear to the rangers or made other return efforts, but it seems it wasn't in their head that day. No joy, indeed.

See you out there... david

• OldHouseMan
  • [OldHouseMan]
More
11 Jun 2009 16:37 #187459 by OldHouseMan
Replied by OldHouseMan on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams
We call it..."Doin a gaper check". Somebody usually walks around the car before we leave.

And if they are a 27.5 Garmont Radium...I'll take'em!!!

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Jun 2009 17:31 #187463 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams

We call it..."Doin a gaper check". Somebody usually walks around the car before we leave.

Yeah, I wish I had done a gaper check at Paradise a decade ago, when I left a brand new pair of life link probe poles leaning against the passenger side of the car, then drove off. The lucky discoverer did not turn them into lost & found at MRNP>

More
12 Jun 2009 18:30 #187464 by davidG
The problem with the gaper check is that it's efficacy is often dependant on who makes the check. One needs to realize that the gaper is just as likely to lean his skiis against the adjacent vehicle as his own. And then, on the road, the overnight equivalent of the gaper check is of course, the 'room sweep'. It puts a chill in your spine just thinking about it, doesn't it? I'd wager that the combined losses of the readers here, despite their best sweep efforts, would be enough to support the upcoming cap and trade scheme. I've left skiis under the bed, a weeks' kayaking fresh food in the fridge, a hanglider on the balcony, jackets in the closet, dive gear, herbs, and more than I care to remember. Some you go back for, but if you were in Scotland yesterday and Switzerland today, you say goodbye to your fleece ~ or your Julbos. ;D

I hope you have a great weekend. david

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
13 Jun 2009 09:35 #187466 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: FOUND: Touring boots @ Adams
David - are you willing to share your travel itineraries in advance?
;)