Home > Trip Reports > June 6, Hurricane Hill ONP

June 6, Hurricane Hill ONP

6/15/09
WA Olympics
Posted by ovrthhills on 6/7/09 4:41am
With the windshield wipers on high on the drive to Port Angeles, Sidnie and I had low expectations for the day.  But things started looking up when we broke out of the clouds at 4500 ft into bright sunshine.  The road west from the lodge was still closed so we hiked the 3 miles to Hurricane Hill on the paved trail.  Upon arriving at the 5757ft summit we were rewarded with two large bowls full of snow.  The clouds had risen and obscurred all the peaks in the range but we remained in brilliant sunshine above a sea of clouds. The bowl to the northeast of Hurricane Hill was heavily corniced but a ramp led into the steep upper section from the east shoulder. This line descended to a developing tarn and then continued down over several benches through lovely glades for 700 vf. We booted back to the summitt of Hurricane Hill  and did several laps into the bowl and the west ridge separating the east and west bowls. We did a final lap down the west bow where the best snow and steepest line of the day were found before a 90 minute hike back to the visitors center in the rising fog.  A great day of solitude and corn. 
Good call.
Just proves the old adage" you don't know until you go!.
Corn is in short supply this season.
I just came back from Chinook Pass and it wasn't corn but it was pollen saturated crap that was sticky even on the steepest stuff!

The pollen wasn't too bad .  Plenty of trees. Go figure. 

Looks like a great spring Olympics trip, your optimism was certainly rewarded...I looked up at the clouds and decided to go on a road ride and I was the one that got rained on. Just goes to show!

author=Scotsman link=topic=13570.msg56624#msg56624 date=1244414654]
Good call.
Just proves the old adage" you don't know until you go!.

Definitely a good call,
Sorry we couldn't join you guys, we spent the weekend volunteering for the North Olympic Discovery Marathon, a great local event.
These pictures are from an 18" powder day in the same area in March, 2007. It is a great area, glad you guys got out there.

Gary and Jan

Reply to this TR

june-6-hurricane-hill-onp
ovrthhills
2009-06-07 11:41:26