Home > Trip Reports > June 5, 2009, Silver Peak

June 5, 2009, Silver Peak

6/5/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 6/5/09 11:25am
Road from Hyak is drivable to within 1/4 mile of Windy Pass today, perhaps all the way tomorrow, melting is rapid even with the cooler temperatures.  We were able to go from the car without removing skis.    North aspects had moderately pesky suncups, east and west aspects were smoother.  Pollen was not sufficient to allow uphill skiing w/o skins, and only a slight hinderance to downhill gliding on shallow slopes.  A huge amount of rock has fallen off the NW face of Silver Peak, and it is not in the fall line of normal ski descent routes from the NW ridge.
sure beats europe I bet. (!)

Closest tour to home is over an hour away, and we had the place to ourselves; post tour double hamburger, fries, and parfait takeout at McDonalds, eaten on a bench across the street from ProSki was American ambiance.  Not better or worse than Europe, just different?

Wait, where in the Alps is this?  I didn't see it in the title.

Thanks for the conditions report, Silas.
Good to have you back.

I like the look of that thin line behind Eric in the last photo.  Good to see your getting out there and enjoying the goods.  Nothing like the Alps though.... 8)

author=Lisa link=topic=13565.msg56605#msg56605 date=1244321706]
I like the look of that thin line behind Eric

The exit can be brushy this late in the season.  See http://www.metatropo.com/reports/twinlakescouloir051307.shtml

Thanks Silas, I thought that was it.  Victor and I skied it early April last year, it's looking mighty thin and steeper now. 

Reply to this TR

june-5-2009-silver-peak
silaswild
2009-06-05 18:25:42