Home > Trip Reports > June 5, 'Judy's' run, Sierras

June 5, 'Judy's' run, Sierras

6/15/09
US elsewhere
Posted by skimtner on 6/5/09 10:39am
  yesterday was a special bc session for me. the weather has been t-storms for the past week -- fortunately, after 12 pm, as I'm still gettin' turns at Mammoth, as well.  the skies were relatively "clearer" and I was headin' back down anyway. I left Reno at 130 pm and arrived at Virginia Lks. at 415 pm. the thunder heads were billowing grand against our normal blue backdrop. the run I was thinkin' about is one that I haven't skiied this spring due to being too soft. we recieved a foot of cement at the start of May and then we got the big warm-up which tends to consolidate the pack.
    hiking up, which took about 1.25 hrs., the sun kept shining, but there was a solid SW wind in the parking lot and hiking up the ridge (rock) for the last approach. as I clicked in, and traversed across the North face of my favorite bc spot, the wind became calm -- just like when you ski the top at Mammoth during SW winds. the sun was warm, and it was now 530 p. the light on the snow on this Northerly aspect is so smooth this time of day. I was stoked that the run was skiiable yet I was in slow-motion. then I thought of this special person who passed away recently. i used to tell her my ski stories, and she would have loved this one as I entered over to the 45 degree roll-over, and took my time to embark on this little fantasy. Judy's run will be even more special in the coming years!
It's great to have a special place that brings back memories of someone. ;)

Reply to this TR

june-5-judy-s-run-sierras
skimtner
2009-06-05 17:39:19