Home > Trip Reports > June 5, 2009, Alpental

June 5, 2009, Alpental

6/5/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 6/5/09 7:51am
It€™s been 3 weeks since I€™ve toured and the break in the heat wave motivated me to see what€™s left at Alpental.  The lower slopes are pretty sparse with a few areas available to try and piece together a skin track just above the main lodge.  There is still an approach which has almost continuous snow from the upper parking lot.  I parked at the upper lot near the rope tow slope. I started up at 8:15am. You can skin up the €œback door€ to the top of the Sessel chair with 2 short  carries.  From the top of Sessel there is continuous snow coverage.  I skinned up Lower Nash where I met the €œearly bird€ crew that were just descending.  Their hoots were a confirmation that the skiing would be good. Skinning was pleasant with only an inch of ski penetration.  The only €œmushy€ snow was old avy sluffs.  I stopped about half way up Upper Nash.  The conditions were very good-small sun cups, no moguls and excellent coverage.  The descent conditions were also good with a few bits of debris scattered about but easily avoided.  With the 2 short carries, I was able to ski to the car.  I did have pollen on my bases but the descent has a pleasant pitch and the pollen did not really affect the skiing.  It€™s very nice up there. With such expansive terrain available, I would recommend that Marcus bring his high school class and Scotty get the Mountaineers up there this weekend.  :D
thanks for update, I just got a sweet deal on some new Coombas... can't wait till the next powder day (gotta ski em now) so a quick tour up in the Alp bc is just what I need this weekend!

I was up there today (6/6)- still good coverage to top of Sessel chair.  I opted to boot as opposed to skinning and was glad I had my AT boots vs snowboard boots.  There is a snowbridge above a creek at roughly 3800 ft.  Opted to avoid it on foot and crossed my fingers on the descent.  Decent skiing for a short trip to get June turns in and my dog loved the excuse to play in the snow.

I was contemplating hiking/skining up Denny and then coming back down international. Did you catch a view of conditions up top at all?

Reply to this TR

june-5-2009-alpental
Zap
2009-06-05 14:51:34