Home > Forum > Selfservice thermofits: Are they working for you?

Selfservice thermofits: Are they working for you?

• wolfs
  • [wolfs]
More
22 Mar 2004 06:45 #169128 by wolfs
By now, most of you that found that thread about the 'Stupidly Cheap Intuition Liners' have probably baked your purchases and given them a shakedown. So what are your impressions of the results? Worth it? Weight savings worth possible performance loss, or did you think there were either no performance loss or in fact improves?<br><br>From my perspective: I had two pairs. I baked one to use replacing a lace-in snowboard boot liner on my Northwave softboots, and one to replace the sewn liners of my Scarpa Lasers. They seemed OK in the snowboard boots, although replacing a laced liner with one that just has a fold-in tongue made it a bit harder to get the boot on tight, and I think I need a more robust footbed in there to keep the arch up since the liner is not as inherently rigid. The liners were about the right height and made for a slight weight savings, and did make for slightly more comfortable hiking excepting the arch issue, but those boots were already adequately light, so the whole thing seemed like kinda a wash vs the original liners. For the Lasers, I haven't tried them yet. But the liners are pretty obviously too short for the boot. The overhang at the top of the boot, almost two inches where the powerstrap crosses, now has no liner there at all. It doesn't feel bad just walking around but I think it's going to feel wrong once I try making turns like that. I might have to build some kind of rigid cuff there to fill in the space, maybe by cutting up one of those neoprene braces for knees or ankles and sticking them with gorilla glue. Anyone else have this issue, and how did you solve it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2004 08:06 - 22 Mar 2004 08:08 #169129 by skip
I can say I'm very much enjoying them.  I put them into my T2's and, although I did not take occasion to weigh them, find them to be considerably lighter.  More importantly, they're more comfortable to me than the stock Scarpa liners I replaced.<br><br>Given the height of the T2 shell, I haven't had the lack of overhanging liner you describe; I have ~ 2" of overhang. I can see that to be an issue - I actually helped dissuade a friend from buying a pair for his Terminators for that very reason.<br><br>The only shortcoming is that my powerstraps, which I cut from the stock liners, are unattached.  For me, a small worry.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
22 Mar 2004 15:45 #169130 by Randito
I have a pair of the "stupidly cheap" liners in my T2's (Blue, two buckles) They reduced the boot weight from the stock liners from 8.2 lbs to 6.4 lbs -- a real plus for tours. In these T2's the liners are just tall enough to work, but definitely shorter than the stock liners. I haven't really noticed a reduction in control from the shorter liner and lack of power strap -- if anything I have more precise edging as the foam is firmer than that in the stock liner.<br><br>I do wish they had these in a taller model though -- so they could get a pair for my TRace boots.