Home > Trip Reports > Naches Peak, Chinook Pass Area, June 4, 2009

Naches Peak, Chinook Pass Area, June 4, 2009

6/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Keith_Henson on 6/4/09 12:41pm
today, Thursday I head to Chinook to climb Naches Peak and check out the snow conditions.

Parked just below the PCT bridge, left at 8:30 and skied the traverse southeast over the ridgelines to the north side of the peak and started skinning up. 3 to 6 inches of melted slush on a firm base. As the slopes steepened I wasn't making good time with the skins so started booting and staircasing to the ridge.

As I approached the ridge and summit block the snow became much deeper as the slope became much steeper. But no breakable crust. And the clouds covered the sun and the wind was cold over the snow.

At the ridge was a deep moat into which I descended, stashed my skis and climbed the spooky wall to the ridge. At the ridge I looked at the face I would have to climb and just got kind of gripped. I carefully downcimbed to my skis, put them on, and headed down.

The snow was very nice, even approaching corn lower down and I was back at the car by 11. I didn't feel right about not summiting, especially as the sun was shinning. So I headed south up the ridge, skinning until it became to steep then booting, until coming to the ridge line. I traversed on the snow just below the ridge and its moat until coming to the end of the snow and an obvious climbing/scrambling route. I stashed my skis, put on tennis shoes, and climbed the airy ridge to the summit.

Saw two skiers below and yodeled at them.

The ski down was fantastic. Slushy but very skiable snow.

Picture of the wall I didn't feel like tackling solo.
My ski tracks from a couple hours earlier

More pictures at my
nice Keith!  Some beautiful weather to ski in, that's for sure!

Thanks for the conditions report.  Glad to hear that you're still "yodeling".  ;)

Good call. I backed off of that ridge a couple years ago too - I'm not up to that in ski boots!

Hey Keith,

That was Snowgirl and I you yodeled at, down in the valley below.  I even said, "I bet that's Keith Henson up there!"  Great photos!  I'm sorry it didn't occur to me to take one of you, though you were just a speck way up there!  Thanks for the TR!

author=Cheddar link=topic=13554.msg56559#msg56559 date=1244219266]
Hey Keith,

That was Snowgirl and I you yodeled at, down in the valley below.  I even said, "I bet that's Keith Henson up there!"  Great photos!  I'm sorry it didn't occur to me to take one of you, though you were just a speck way up there!  Thanks for the TR!

When I yodeled I had no idea that there was anyone around.. I was just excited to get to the summit. Glad you yelled back.
It turned out to be a fine day. The skiing is much improved over last week. Here you guys are as specks way down there.

I was up there on Tuesday.  It looks as if the sun cups are growing quickly.  I would advise anyone who goes there to wax up and go early, there is lots of pollen. 

Reply to this TR

naches-peak-chinook-pass-area-june-4-2009
Keith_Henson
2009-06-04 19:41:39