Home > Forum > Hertel Spring Solution (anti-pollen) wax

Hertel Spring Solution (anti-pollen) wax

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
02 Jun 2009 11:00 - 02 Jun 2009 11:20 #187296 by Big Steve
This chronicles my first impressions of this product.  I bought a brick of Hertel Spring Solution last spring, but spring 2008 was not a bad pollen year.  Hertel's claims:

WHAT IT DOES: Spring Solution converts the sticky brown stuff (pollen) that collects on the springtime snow into slick controllable skiing wax. Spring Solution is also Fluorinated for the ultimate rejection of the elements that cause skis to run slow. Try our Spring Solution snowboard  wax today and take the JERK out of your skiing!!  All of your ski buddies will be wondering why they get stuck in the flats while you pass them by cruising smoothly.

Spring Solution ski wax was developed by first understanding what the brown substance was on the snow in the spring. Our ski testing labs confirmed that it was "pollens" deposited by nature. We developed a springtime ski wax system to combat the pollen.  Hertel invented the first and only real Fluorinated ski wax which is interactive with the elements while skiing. Nothing else compares!

I hot waxed Anita's skis and my skis with SS on Saturday AM, followed by a skin lap at Alpy on Saturday afternoon on pollen covered snow.  Skiing conditions were slow, but the skis glided better (i.e., smoother) than on previous big pollen days.  Inspected skis after run and noticed ample pollen embedded in wax, although a bit less than I expected.  The pollen certainly slowed our descents, but the skiing was practically jerk-free and smoother than pollen fouled skis w/ other wax or w/o wax.

Fearing that the pollen would foul our skins, I scraped off the pollen and removed the residue with the aid of solvent.  I had laid on a pretty thick coat (in anticipation that I might need to scrape off a pollen layer), so there was ample wax for the following day.  On Sunday, we skied E of crest  (Ingalls/Fortune), where pollen was not a big problem.  Skis glided fine w/ typical spring slush suction issues, but not bad.  No noticable pollen accumulation on skis after Fortune descent.

My preliminary impressions:  SS seems to help smooth out the descent on a big pollen day, but it is no miracle, i.e., do not expect fast skis.  Next time, I will again cook in a thick layer, be prepared to scrape after each run (to avoid skin fouling) and hope to get two full days out of a single hot waxing.  If I remember to do so, I will update this thread if my impressions materially change.

NFI in Hertel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.