Home > Trip Reports > May 31, 2009, Ingalls Peak area

May 31, 2009, Ingalls Peak area

5/31/09
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by sheekdaddy on 6/1/09 2:25pm
Wow, what a great day!  My son and I arrived at the Ingalls Pass trailhead (end of North Fork of the Teanaway Road) at 8:30.  About 10 minutes later, a nice guy named Glen pulled up and volunteered to show us the quick way up to Ingalls Pass and subsequently into Headlamp Basin. 

It took us about 4 hours to get to the top of Fortune Mountain.  My son and I skied the Basin a couple of times and then got the urge to get to the top of South Ingalls.  After 30 minutes of climbing and looking like another hour of climbing, we decided to bag it and go back to the top of Fortune.  Glen had wisely opted out and simply enjoyed an hour of rest on the top.  After that, we skied off the south side, avoiding Ingalls Pass.  We had a great bowl run for the first 1500 vertical and then some cool tree-sking for about another 1500 before hiking out. 

Thanks, Glen, for the great guide service.  Posted is at least one of your superb tele turns.

Sheek-Daddy
Glenn_B and Company,
A good day for all, including dogs. Not that there was one mind you. The north face of Fortune was creamy. A little more melt and there'd be swimming in Lake Ingalls. Not that I am hurrying up the season. Too many more routes to ski before the dirt season.

It was great to run into you two at the trailhead, Sheek-Daddy.  The company was welcome and it's always fun to share.  Thanks for the pics.

Cool!  We were a couple hours ahead of you, skied off the top of Fortune around 11:30AM, then down the SE bowl.

Think there will be any turns left in that area by this coming weekend, 6/6 or 7?

Yes, just anticipate a longer hike in and out.  We've been having temps in the low 90s here in E-burg so the snowline will be melting up on the south-facing approaches.  Across Ingalls Pass, the snow hangs in pretty well for a while yet.  Enjoy.  Also, bring your parking pass; the man might be coming up to check.

+1 to glenn's response.  I'd take a chance on this weekend.  N aspects will have snow, and the SE bowl of Fortune holds snow longer than one might expect for a SE aspect.  (My theory is that the bowl, which gets big lee dumps,  is in the shadow of Esmeralda).  Expect considerable walking and lovely views.  It's usually pretty mellow skiing up there.

Reply to this TR

may-31-2009-ingalls-peak-area
sheekdaddy
2009-06-01 21:25:55