Home > Forum > Chinook Pass to Crystal

Chinook Pass to Crystal

• Perryt
  • [Perryt]
More
01 Jun 2009 14:16 #187281 by Perryt
Chinook Pass to Crystal was created by Perryt
I have always wanted to do this. Who out there has done this and can give me some beta on it? From what I have seen if I do it soon I still should be able to ski a big chunk of the way, right?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Erik Henne
  • [erikhenne]
More
01 Jun 2009 14:49 #187282 by Erik Henne
Replied by Erik Henne on topic Re: Chinook Pass to Crystal
I did it last year. The trail along 410 to the basin below Sourdough gap had plenty of melted out sections and I wished I had an ice axe while crossing some of the avi debris runs. But once we got to the basin it was a very enjoyable tour. We dropped down to crystal lakes and then entered the resort by skinning up the back side of Silver King.

I was at Chinook this Saturday and the trail along 410 looked even more melted out than last year. It may be quicker to simply walk on this section of the trail. But once you reach the basin I am sure it is great.

It took us about 2.5 hours to complete the hitchhike back to our car. The typical Sunday drivers don't seem too interested in picking up skiers.

• Kyle Miller
  • [Kyle Miller]
More
01 Jun 2009 14:55 #187283 by Kyle Miller
Replied by Kyle Miller on topic Re: Chinook Pass to Crystal
The way that I would recommend would be following the PCT up to Sourdough Gap then when in Morse Creek basin I would climb/skin the saddle between 3 way peak and what I call Placer peak (lookers left of 3 way) fron there it is another gentle climb up to the lookers left of 3 way then your back to Silver Basin. hopefully this will help and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

More
01 Jun 2009 19:13 #187287 by Boot
Replied by Boot on topic Re: Chinook Pass to Crystal
Do it quickly because the bottom of CM is melted out and though it's still deep above ~5000' it is melting fast in this heat. Sunday had to walk about 100 yards, but was actually able to ride the Sunnyside face from the top of REX.