telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/23/19, 07:55 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2009 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2009 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  may 29-30 Boiling Water Route ID/DC Rainier
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: may 29-30 Boiling Water Route ID/DC Rainier  (Read 2062 times)
Khanh Q
5Member

may 29-30 Boiling Water Route ID/DC Rainier
« on: 05/31/09, 07:46 PM »

Monika graciously took us newbies up Rainier- jay and jen, who have never been up Rainier, and tim and I, who have never skied the DC route. We started off 11 am on friday morning with a lenticular cloud sitting on top of Rainier. The ranger told us most people were on the Furher Finger route. It was very hot and no wind on the Muir snowfield. Our destination was Ingraham Flats, trying to go as high as we could, hoping to make the next day as short as possible. Monika went ahead to boil us some water at Camp Muir. When we found her at the public hut, we were pleased to find very few people at the shelter. So we decided amongst ourselves that we should stay at the hut, getting out of the wind that is often present at Muir. It was a great decision! We were warm and comfy and glad that it was a quiet night at Muir. The next day we headed off at 5 am for the Ingraham Direct, which the ranger indicated was in great shape and they hadn't put a route on the Cleaver yet. To our luck the lenticular cloud had dissipated, and we had a wonderful day in front us. Once we saw the Ingraham, we decided that the route was firm and so didn't not rope up the entire way. The route is obvious with guide flags abound--stayed left until making a traverse under the higher layer of seracs . Again, Monika would go ahead and route find while boiling water for us the whole way. I don't think I drank that much water on an previous trips. We had to cross a couple of crevasses but the snow bridges were obvious. I immensely enjoyed crossing the crevasse with the ladder. After summiting the crater at 11 am, we took some "first" pics and headed down the mountain. We did not stray far from the flag route. Once we got to the ID/DC cut off,  we decided to ski Disappointment Cleaver since it would be a better ski line, avoiding seracs and crevasses all together. Monika was always ahead checking out the ski line and if it would go. We had a bit of wet slough, but no problems with avalanche concerns. Sure enough, Monika picked out the right ski line and we made it down the DC avoiding any rocks or icefalls. Back to camp Muir, there was so many people there, we were glad we went Friday. After packing up, and heading down Muir with a Comedy of Errors. Since we were so tired at that point, we had some spectacular falls and ski binding malfunctions. We made it down safely in one piece. Thanks Monika, for a  great trip. We sure did laugh a lot!!

* IngrahmMonika.JPG.jpg (97.26 KB, 375x500 - viewed 719 times.)

* DC.JPG.jpg (80.9 KB, 375x500 - viewed 707 times.)

* KhanhMonikaJenn.JPG.jpg (120.64 KB, 500x375 - viewed 714 times.)
ryanl

Re: may 29-30 Boiling Water Route ID/DC Rainier
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/09, 07:36 AM »

Miss Q, if there ever was a doubt there is no more- you're NOT a newbie Smiley

Nice TR.
Oyvind_Henningsen

« Reply #2 on: 06/01/09, 08:37 AM »

Great job guys!!  You did it Tim!

Lytt til erfarne fjellfolk!
Stugie

« Reply #3 on: 06/02/09, 09:09 PM »

Great first tr and nice pics!  Such beautiful weather on the mountain this weekend!  Way to get in the turns!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals; the houses where I practice my religion." - Anatoli Boukreev
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.