Home > Trip Reports > May 30, 2009, Anvil rock /Paradise glacier

May 30, 2009, Anvil rock /Paradise glacier

5/30/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 5/31/09 3:41am
Anita ,Jeff,Phil, Dave and self decided to skip the Camp Muir picnic area. We topped out at 9600 ' or so directly above Anvil rock. Got more good turns and pics then curved around to our left down the Paradise. Ending up at Cowlitz rock /Paradise  gl saddle. The Paradise glacier is in fine shape no crevasses showing  and snow was sloppy skiable. Everyone adjusted his /her turns to accomodate.  Very slow schus and short climb to Top of golden gate. Good turns down from golden gate but we starting picking up pollen as the pitch flattened. Anita who had just returned from Nepal stayed on another day to take advantage of her altitude acclimation before it returns to normal.
photos
phil
dave
Jeff in subdued colors
If I'd known it would have been good, I would have gone with you.  Went up earlier and saw so much dirty & boot-tracked snow and avy crowns, I turned around and went home and did a m'cycle ride ...

Thanks all for a fun trip---and I got the bonus of being able to distill the pollen off my bases to market as "Special Yellow" grip wax. I promise I'll put the profits in my beacon battery fund.

No, that can't be Jeff. Really?
Looks like you guys had another fun tour.  :)

Reply to this TR

may-30-2009-anvil-rock-paradise-glacier
Robie
2009-05-31 10:41:35