Home > Trip Reports > May 30, 2009, Mt Ruth

May 30, 2009, Mt Ruth

5/30/09
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by wolfs on 5/30/09 1:15pm
(the Rainier one...)
Good but not great. Snow was sticky but could adapt technique to make it work. I found at one point that if you kept your weight shift minimal and didn't change ski angle at all you could just sort of let it take you along, but if you tried to exert your will on it, would fight back. Shirtsleeves and shorts whole day. I was actually hoping would be winder to keep things cooler but mostly was pretty calm.

Saw 6 other skiers, which is more than I typically have seen on a day there. Lots more people (mostly climbers) on Inter. Was tempted to keep going to the Prow but at time I started down (oneish) snow was already overcoooked, must have not frozen that deep if at all.

Approach trail in expected shape. Not really worth skinning until you reach the spring crossing and/or cutback to the plateau that takes you to GB camps.

Run down basin of Third Burroughs is looking nice (but with warm temps and still slushy snow might have been sluff prone today, maybe another weeks marinating will do it good?)

I was in the first party to ski down, tracks lookers left at top.  We left the top at 11:30 and it was too late then.  Should have left Seattle at 3:30 instead of 4:30.

Fun, but a little creamier than I like my corn.  Set off a wet slab lower down....certainly a spring wake up.

Reply to this TR

may-30-2009-mt-ruth
wolfs
2009-05-30 20:15:39