Home > Trip Reports > 30 May, 2009, Source Lake

30 May, 2009, Source Lake

5/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by lordhedgie on 5/30/09 12:18pm
Took the wife on an easy cruise to Source Lake, with a few short runs above it.  Still good snow coverage up there, probably will last another week before it gets thin.  Alpental was looking pretty melted -- after this weekend there may be some carry involved to do that, we'll have to see. 

Short trip report for a short trip, but I wanted to relay conditions.
Good to hear she got out with you. Is there still as much or more snow on the way up to Chair Peak Basin as at end of June last year? It'd be fun to do that one again.

Yeah, I'd say conditions are similar to late June last year.  Get it while it's there!

I agree with the one month early assessment.  I was a Muir yesterday and there was a 1/2 mile carry at Pan Point.  Amazing how much less snow there is this year compared to last year.

Folklife tour still went well as of yesterday, and heading out early helped with conditions, though lots of breaks through the day added up and we did find deep mush here and there. The streem from Chair Peak Lake would have gone, sort of, but I was glad we did the small climb to the knoll to ski the slopes below Roosevelt. When we looked back up at the outlet creek, we could see continuous snow, but a clear rotten snow band ust below the waterfall.

Still some great turning to be had along this mostly-touring type route. Saw someone had been out soloing Roosevelt and the north side of Chair. We felt all alone back there, though we did see a solo skier on Snow Lake out ahead of us, and met a couple of folks aiming to climb Chair who caught us as we arrived at  Bryant Col.

Lots of pollen down low - I've never had to work quite so hard to get from Source Lake to the car.

We were up in the Chair Peak basin Saturday.  Coverage was good and the skiing exceeded my expectations.  We thought about Great Wall of China Chute, but it looks like it's done for the year.

Reply to this TR

30-may-2009-source-lake
lordhedgie
2009-05-30 19:18:46