Home > Trip Reports > Yakima Peak, May 28, 2009

Yakima Peak, May 28, 2009

5/15/09
Posted by Keith_Henson on 5/28/09 7:56am
I went to Chinook Pass today to climb Yakima Peak with high expectations for gleaning the mountain's good tidings and low expectations for the quality of the relatively low elevation skiing. Both expectations were met.

Started up at 8:30 and even with the early start the snow was slushy, from 3 to 10 inches over a firm base. Deeper at the top. Headed over the ridge and to the gully on the northeast side. Booted up the steepest part and the snow was over my boot tops. Granular snow that was like concrete. In fact, a couple times the baskets from my poles came off when trying to extract them. Approaching the upper third of the summit ridge the snow was breakable crust with over a foot of snow underneath.

At the top at 9:45 and the views were fantastic. The skiing down was uneventful. Survival skiing off the ridge and attempted jump turns to get out of the crust. Some hip checking and side slipping got me halfway down the gully where I could make turns through the deep slush. The face down to the road skied the best but it's still not corn...

Pictures .
Keith,  Thanks for the timely report and photos.  I had all my gear packed this morning for a trip to Chinook.  When the alarm went off at 6am, I had a "vision" of slush and went back to sleep.  ;) I noticed that the telemetry today was about 10 degrees warmer at similar times compared to yesterday.  I really appreciate your accurate description of the snow conditions.  You tell  it like it is. 

The snow pack looks "fat" and I was surprised to see snow on the south aspect of peak 6567 east of Naches.  Jill and I were thinking about Naches Peak on Friday until I read your TR. It appears the snow still needs some melt/freeze cycles. The Snoqualmie Snow Troopers link was interesting.

Reply to this TR

yakima-peak-may-28-2009
Keith_Henson
2009-05-28 14:56:11