telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/25/19, 12:19 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2009 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2009 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Yakima Peak, May 28, 2009
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yakima Peak, May 28, 2009  (Read 1803 times)
Keith_Henson

Yakima Peak, May 28, 2009
« on: 05/28/09, 03:56 PM »

I went to Chinook Pass today to climb Yakima Peak with high expectations for gleaning the mountain's good tidings and low expectations for the quality of the relatively low elevation skiing. Both expectations were met.

Started up at 8:30 and even with the early start the snow was slushy, from 3 to 10 inches over a firm base. Deeper at the top. Headed over the ridge and to the gully on the northeast side. Booted up the steepest part and the snow was over my boot tops. Granular snow that was like concrete. In fact, a couple times the baskets from my poles came off when trying to extract them. Approaching the upper third of the summit ridge the snow was breakable crust with over a foot of snow underneath.

At the top at 9:45 and the views were fantastic. The skiing down was uneventful. Survival skiing off the ridge and attempted jump turns to get out of the crust. Some hip checking and side slipping got me halfway down the gully where I could make turns through the deep slush. The face down to the road skied the best but it's still not corn...

Pictures here at my website

Met some folks in the parking lot heading up from a group called Snoqualmie Snow Troopers and they have a website.

Keith A Henson, Puyallup
AAC
"Let's go! That powder's not going to ski itself."
www.KeithHenson.net
Zap

Re: Yakima Peak, May 28, 2009
« Reply #1 on: 05/28/09, 05:44 PM »

Keith,  Thanks for the timely report and photos.  I had all my gear packed this morning for a trip to Chinook.  When the alarm went off at 6am, I had a "vision" of slush and went back to sleep.  Wink I noticed that the telemetry today was about 10 degrees warmer at similar times compared to yesterday.  I really appreciate your accurate description of the snow conditions.  You tell  it like it is. 

The snow pack looks "fat" and I was surprised to see snow on the south aspect of peak 6567 east of Naches.  Jill and I were thinking about Naches Peak on Friday until I read your TR. It appears the snow still needs some melt/freeze cycles. The Snoqualmie Snow Troopers link was interesting.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.