Home > Trip Reports > Challenger, Memorial Day Weekend, 2009

Challenger, Memorial Day Weekend, 2009

5/15/09
Posted by shredman on 5/26/09 10:19am
For Your Information:
The summit block is not melted and the pitons are still rhimed in.
Went in via Wiley ridge.  Snow started at Luna Camp.  Melted for about one mile during south-facing ascent to Beaver Pass, then snow the rest of the way.
It is a very long way to carry one's split board.
Bailing into Luna Creek drainage due to severe slide danger on south faces of Wiley ridge will likely require a couple rapels.
Luna creek bushwack better than previously reported thanks to copious snow.
If you do choose to take your canoe rather than the water taxi to Big Beaver be sure to bring a case of beer to stash in the creek.  That way when you reach the lake at 3 in the afternoon you will not be tempted to load your canoe with 120 pounds of gear and paddle against a headwind and 18inch breakers for 5 miles prior to portaging said gear and canoe back to the highway (That porter did taste amazing though).
Great weather and spectacular country...enjoy!
There must be so much more to this story! Amazing. Way to get your snowboard back there. I am impressed!!! Challenger was one of my best ski trips ever...even with all the work.

if this is the best narrative your darrington education is capable of please at least post up your 3 pictures.  nice job guys!

Sometimes that range can be a pretty private place - glad you got it this weekend., T'was a fine time for it.

Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/carl.schillhammer/Challenger#
Unfortunately during the more intense portions of the trip I developed a bad habit of forgetting about my camera but hopefully these will help if you are thinking about heading to the Picketts soonl
Cheers.

Wow!  Great work.  Schlepping a splitter up there is he-man stuff.  And it's a short list that has exited Luna Creek. 

author=trumpetsailor link=topic=13452.msg56018#msg56018 date=1243400016]
Sometimes that range can be a pretty private place

Especially this time of year!  We had it all to ourselves in August 1993 and again in August 2003, but I hear that it's a busier place in prime season these days.

pretty dang cool ... awesome photos .... a totally wow trip!!!

Reply to this TR

challenger-memorial-day-weekend-2009
shredman
2009-05-26 17:19:50