Home > Trip Reports > May 23-25, 2009, Forbidden Tour

May 23-25, 2009, Forbidden Tour

5/23/09
Posted by JimD on 5/25/09 11:45pm
I'll let Oyvind's TR do for conditions - thanks for the tracks guys, we didn't have to think very hard (thought it was Volken's guided tour).

Jeff had been wanting to do this one for years, but it was hard to convince me to cary a big pack for 3 days. The perfect conditions this weekend though demanded a 3 day trip and the photo opps got me psyched.

It was great to meet John and Kevin at the car, then leap frog each other over the next three days. I'm looking forward to their pictures.

The tour was great (if only for the scenery), but I didn't have much motivation for side climbs (I was whooped every day), which seemed to rub off on Jeff, so the only summit we did was Eldorado. We met Snowbell and Telemac there and got some good shots of their descent.

(Photos deleted at the request of mod. See

I can really relate to the one in the brush!  Isn't it nice that we forget those parts, but the groovin' in the alpine stays etched in our brains for years?  You have inspired my lame-limerick muse:

I went up with Snowbell to Eldo
The steep trail and talus were helldo
    The ski mountaineering
    Was truly endearing
But boy does my Capilene smelldo

Very nice pics there Jim.  Glad you could make use of our tracks - what a beautiful country.  Pretty lucky to still ski to the lake ayeh?

Great shots Jim!
Man, what an amazing place! It is hard to process all the scenery as it goes by...

Thanks Oyvind and crew! Your route finding skills down to the lake were superb!
Did one of your crew loose a powder basket? If so, I would be happy to return it.

Jim doing his thing

author=shred link=topic=13446.msg56098#msg56098 date=1243486309]
Did one of your crew lose a powder basket? If so, I would be happy to return it.

Casey Ruff lost one; I gave him my spare.  He can keep mine, so I bequeath you his.

As typically great as Jim's shots are, I really love your "Jim's thing" shot, shred.

Reply to this TR

may-23-25-2009-forbidden-tour
JimD
2009-05-26 06:45:39