Home > Trip Reports > MAY 25 ,2009, MUIR SNOWFIELD EXIT MCLURE ROCK

MAY 25 ,2009, MUIR SNOWFIELD EXIT MCLURE ROCK

5/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 5/25/09 12:52pm
Finally a good ski , many many thanks to spltboarder and Rusty Knees for thier reports . Dave ,Eric ,JAke and Robie left Puyallup at 6am. Parked in the old visitor center lot . And high tailed it up to Camp Muir . A over the top gorgeous day . Ran into Snowslut.Discussed strategies Snoslut and friend Paradise Glacier. Robie and friends Camp muir  exit Mclure rock /Golden gate. We thought long and hard about Nisqually chutes but there was a slab release in the middle of it and also quite a few on our exit path skiers right of Mclure rock. Down to golden Gate where we met Snoslut again ! Got to say after chasing breakable crust for the last four tours I was in pig heaven with the corn quality! Early start recommended. Ski tight to Anvil rock for some fun and hero pics.
Way to keep up with those youngsters! Next time I try to get these old legs and lungs up to Muir I'll definitely be using my toe-pivot bindings... and my oxygen tank.

Just barely kept up is more like it  cept on the downhill  ;)

Monday was a very nice day indeed. We got a later start than you guys though--Spencerhutch and I started skinning shortly after 9 and got up to the camp by 1. Came down through the Nisqually chute, avoiding both the slide debris and setting off anything new...it was great skiing except for a couple of mushy spots, and of course the sticky snow and pollen down towards the parking lot. Eww. Starting earlier is definitely a good idea.
My camera was dead but Spencer's photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spencerhutch/sets/72157618783189053/

We're gonna do a repeat tomorrow but this time exit stage left down the paradise. Reports of pollen in the tatoosh form dorothea who skied there yesterday.(thursday )

Hey Robyn: remember from our '07 trip down the Paradise Glacier?

I'll be down there tomorrow solo, hoping for Nisq. chutes.  I have a GPS but am not :savvy:.  Any hints from regulars on how to find the correct entrance?  Thanks

author=dkoelle link=topic=13440.msg56197#msg56197 date=1243643274]
... Any hints from regulars on how to find the correct entrance?

Main (middle) Chute Entrance: 46* 49' 8"N; 121* 43' 53"W, (map datum NAD83) Elevation 8200 (msl). You can't miss it, there's a big sign there ;) (look for the "rock eyebrow", the horizontal rock band above the entry which connects to the rocks that form the west side of the main chute). 

Reply to this TR

may-25-2009-muir-snowfield-exit-mclure-rock
Robie
2009-05-25 19:52:19