Home > Trip Reports > March 16, 2004, Windy Pass and Nordic Pass

March 16, 2004, Windy Pass and Nordic Pass

3/16/04
Posted by prgsmall on 3/16/04 4:33am
  For the first time this year, I ventured to the Nordic Area of Snoqualmie Pass.  After an internal debate about where to go, I was pushed to drive to Snoqualmie Pass.  As I drove up I90, the clouds were dissapating and when I arrived at 10:30, the Sun was shining.  After parking at Hyak, I donned my old leather boots and my fishscales and started out on the road that leads to Windy Pass.  As the sun climbed higher and higher, my soul got happier and happier and I could see that this was going to be a special day.  The whole day I only encountered one other skier coming down from Windy Pass.
  After reaching Windy Pass, I started the climb up Nordic Pass.  This was the first time there and I enjoyed every minute of it.  Even when I missed some of the trail markers!  The snow was settling and was generally spring conditions.  I did encounter some small "whoomphing" in the woods at the top of Nordic Pass.  Actually, it sounded more like "shwiffing" as I skied up and down over the irregular terrain.  There was no visible results.  Once off the pass the shwiffing stopped.  A good respite.  Glad to be alive on a beautiful spring day.

Peter
Did you retrace to return or close the loop by skiing east through the forest?

I was able to ski through the woods (lost the trail a couple of times!) and wound up coming out at near the Hidden Valley trail.  I headed back to Hyak via the Serpentine run.  Snow was nicely forming up corn and even managed to get in a few tele turns on the way down even with my nordic gear.  Much different than with fat skis and plastic boots, but fun nevertheless.

;D

Reply to this TR

march-16-2004-windy-pass-and-nordic-pass
prgsmall
2004-03-16 12:33:40